• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unrooting related question

OptimusM

Lurker
Dec 16, 2011
I've had problems with my galaxy S2. My phone crashed every day, (screen froze, phone restarted) and the screen didnt work properly. I left it to the store and they fixed it (replaced the display and updated to latest rom). Now it works fine all in all, but it still crashes, this time about 1 to 2 times every week. (by crashing I mean that it randomly restarts, the screen doesn't freeze now.)

I want to root it, to test if it will solve the problem. (Plus, I prefer rooting android phones). But I don't want to risk anything in case it still crashes and I have to take it back to the store, so I don't wan't to void the warranty.

I know that it is possible to unroot your phone, resetting some sort of counter or something like that. But I've read on (i think this forum) that they now can discover that the phone has been rooted.

So my question is if this is true or not, can samsung discover the phone has been rooted and hence voiding my warranty?

I appreciate all the help i can get!

I suggest forgetting about rooting that lemon and that you take it back for either further repair or (hopefully) replacement. A stock handset should not randomly restart once or twice weekly - something is definitely wrong with it.

Yeah that's why i've waited with rooting. The problem is I just got the phone back a month ago. Not looking forward to giving it to the store again, took three weeks to get it back last time. That's why im thinking about rooting, but want to be certain I can "get away with it".

Side question, could this random restart problem be because of a certain app? I installed the same apps and launcher as I had before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones