• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unwanted directory with unusual files created on SD Card

Risingson

Lurker
Aug 25, 2010
I have just discovered a 'virtual' directory on my sdcard whilst browsing the contents via a disk usage app. The directory is the .bookmark_thumb1 folder which I am aware is not a problem, however there were 80 random files with a total file size of 64.36gb. This cannot be true as my SD card is 8gb capacity. The existence of these files has been verified by Root Explorer and ES File Explorer but I cannot delete them, and access is denied when attempting to remove the files through windows explorer. File properties state that file creation happened on various dates many years into the future. The file names consist of foreign characters and resemble hieroglyphics and I cannot edit or delete them.

I have tried to rename the folder which has just caused a new folder called .bookmark_thumb7 (the name I gave it) with all these random files, and have left the standard .bookmark_thumb1 folder with its web page images in as expected.

Any idea how to remove this directory? No joy via adb as yet.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones