• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unwanted people in my phone list (2.1)

tsull

Lurker
May 18, 2010
Hey everyone, I hope someone can help me out.
Ever since the OTA update, my contacts have been a mess.

Before the update, I had the people I put in my contacts and they were linked to Facebook so their photos would show. They were the only ones that would show up in my call list when I went to the Phone app.

However now, although my contacts are still just the people I had listed, whenever I go to my Phone app I'm left with a list of every Facebook friend I have. This is especially annoying when I have to see people with numbers like "ask me" or even people I just don't ever want to call. Also, in my contacts, now e-mails and numbers from people's Facebooks are also posted, and I just want the ones I entered in my phone to show up. Can anyone help me get back to the way my contacts used to be?!?

Thank You!

No, if you already have them in your phone, then the pictures will stay. For example
I have a few friends who are synced with facebook, but a bunch that I don't talk to. If they are already in your phone book, it will keep the pictures, if not (the extras) they will be gone.

Edit: Try it out, it works for me. Let me know if it doesn't work for you and I will double check my settings.

Upvote 0
If you uncheck sync with facebook the current picture will stay but will never update & if one of your contacts gets a facebook page you will not be able to sync their picture. To only show google & phone contacts in your people address book and not all of your facebook friends do the following. Open the people app., press menu, then select the little eye ball/view and it will give you 6 options for displaying the contacts you want to show up in the people app. I have Google, auto gmail contacts & phone checked & all the people displayed are people I actually call now. Hope this helps.

Oops I didnt pay attention enough to see that you were talking about the "Phone" app not the "People" app.......Not sure what I would use the "Phone "app for though unless I was using the stock home & no sense. People is really the best app for accessing my contacts.

Reactions: BlueDC2
Upvote 0
If you uncheck sync with facebook the current picture will stay but will never update & if one of your contacts gets a facebook page you will not be able to sync their picture. To only show google & phone contacts in your people address book and not all of your facebook friends do the following. Open the people app., press menu, then select the little eye ball/view and it will give you 6 options for displaying the contacts you want to show up in the people app. I have Google, auto gmail contacts & phone checked & all the people displayed are people I actually call now. Hope this helps.

Much more detailed explanation, thank you for elaborating :D

Upvote 0

Oops I didnt pay attention enough to see that you were talking about the "Phone" app not the "People" app.......Not sure what I would use the "Phone "app for though unless I was using the stock home & no sense. People is really the best app for accessing my contacts.

Thanks the the reply! I guess I'm using the Phone app when I go to dial the number. Instead of using people, I just press phone at the bottom of the home screen and use the Smart Dial to find whoever I want to call. I wish it could be like in 1.5 where I could just sync the photo & birthday, but I guess I'll just have to deal.

Thanks to both of you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Thanks the the reply! I guess I'm using the Phone app when I go to dial the number. Instead of using people, I just press phone at the bottom of the home screen and use the Smart Dial to find whoever I want to call. I wish it could be like in 1.5 where I could just sync the photo & birthday, but I guess I'll just have to deal.

Thanks to both of you for your help, I really appreciate it!
'

Yeah, this is a pain. Is there any solution we are missing?

Upvote 0
That is how I have it set. It's when you go into People and hit Search "magnify icon". That thing pops up everybody in Facebook.

Also, when you go to Phone, and start typing it pulls up Facebook contacts.

Ah, now I see. I dunno, I sort of like this feature. Since not everyone I know is on my phone's contact list. And if someone from my school calls me, it knows who it is. It would irk me in the people list, but fortunately, that can be turned off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones