• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upcoming Phones, should I wait?

jfe

Android Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2009
I have an Original Moto Droid, bought it the first day it came out, 11/6/09

But that thing is starting to look rather old, and yes, it rooted and everything, but been wanting to get a new one

The only thing that is half appealing is the Thunderstorm, but it doesn't have dual core

Other than the almost dead Bionic, and the rumored Targa, anything in the dual core realm that maybe interesting? Also, FFC is a must

(And yes, I do want dual core because it looks like all the cool programs are going to need it in the not so distant future)

There are as many answers as there are Droid lovers out here! :D

That being said, I'd look at what you want/ need your next phone to do for you. That'll tell you if you really need to wait on a dual core phone or if a Thunderbolt or the Samsung Charge would do all you need it to. There's a coolness factor to a dual core right now, but if you're not going to use that hardware capacity then do you really need it?

Regardless, as we all know, no matter what you buy there will always be something better coming out soon afterwards that'll make your "new" phone look old school so I wouldn't stress much over it.

Upvote 0
I am already running BB, and done the overclocking

But lately it's been giving me issues, and some other phones are definitely snappier.

Maybe I will go with the Charge, as there is no release date for Bionic/Targa

How is the charge really an upgrade? I mean the rfs file system will be a problem until the developers hacka fix for it, the screen is bigger but that has no relation to speed or actual functionality per-say, the cpu is a 1ghz cortex a8 but isn't the droid a cortex a8 too? So if your droid is at 1ghz then cpu performance should be about the same, and the speed of the cpu is everything in android currently because the ui isn't gpu accelerated for all the graphical motions. Until it is the droid charge probably won't be much if any faster than your phone. What sort of issues are you running into? I'm just curious since I have a droid 2 global, and though I am not too pleased with it, I honestly don't think verizon has anything that is a significant upgrade over the d2g at this time.

Upvote 0
How is the charge really an upgrade? I mean the rfs file system will be a problem until the developers hacka fix for it, the screen is bigger but that has no relation to speed or actual functionality per-say, the cpu is a 1ghz cortex a8 but isn't the droid a cortex a8 too? So if your droid is at 1ghz then cpu performance should be about the same, and the speed of the cpu is everything in android currently because the ui isn't gpu accelerated for all the graphical motions. Until it is the droid charge probably won't be much if any faster than your phone. What sort of issues are you running into? I'm just curious since I have a droid 2 global, and though I am not too pleased with it, I honestly don't think verizon has anything that is a significant upgrade over the d2g at this time.

Well, I am still on a hold pattern, haven't seen anything interesting yet

Upvote 0
You will get varying answers on this question but as somebody else pointed out it all depends on what you are looking for. If LTE (4G) isn't a requirement, you might want to look at the D3 or the DX2 due out soon.

Looking into my crystal ball for Dual-Core LTE device, I see the first one coming out to be the Bionic/Targa. I would expect this device late summer (August-September). All the reports I have heard say this phone will launch before summer is over (September 21st). I would guess in the September / October time frame we will see a SGSII variant and LG 2x, both of which are dual-core but neither have an LTE radio in them currently. I am sure there are phones in the pipe that nobody has heard about yet. I would guess Sony will have something and I know Lenovo is looking at the mobile industry. I would also guess HTC will release another phone in the September / October time frame. Of course this is only my opinion and my opinion isn't any better than the next guy.

Personally, I am trying to wait on a dual-core LTE device. I hope one comes out prior to tiered LTE plans (currently they are unlimited). Right now, more than ever, it is important to pick the right phone. The mobile phone technology is evolving quicker now than ever. Couple that with VZW cutting out 1yr contracts and by the time your upgrade comes out your phone will really be out of date. So you might want to get in on the front side of the new technology. Another thing I am a little worried about is VZW yanking early upgrades out. Currently, on the 2 year contracts you can upgrade early at 18 months. I could see them doing away with this as other carriers don't have this nice policy. The other carriers make exceptions from time to time, but pretty much you only upgrade 30 days out.

Upvote 0
You will get varying answers on this question but as somebody else pointed out it all depends on what you are looking for. If LTE (4G) isn't a requirement, you might want to look at the D3 or the DX2 due out soon.

Looking into my crystal ball for Dual-Core LTE device, I see the first one coming out to be the Bionic/Targa. I would expect this device late summer (August-September). All the reports I have heard say this phone will launch before summer is over (September 21st). I would guess in the September / October time frame we will see a SGSII variant and LG 2x, both of which are dual-core but neither have an LTE radio in them currently. I am sure there are phones in the pipe that nobody has heard about yet. I would guess Sony will have something and I know Lenovo is looking at the mobile industry. I would also guess HTC will release another phone in the September / October time frame. Of course this is only my opinion and my opinion isn't any better than the next guy.

Personally, I am trying to wait on a dual-core LTE device. I hope one comes out prior to tiered LTE plans (currently they are unlimited). Right now, more than ever, it is important to pick the right phone. The mobile phone technology is evolving quicker now than ever. Couple that with VZW cutting out 1yr contracts and by the time your upgrade comes out your phone will really be out of date. So you might want to get in on the front side of the new technology. Another thing I am a little worried about is VZW yanking early upgrades out. Currently, on the 2 year contracts you can upgrade early at 18 months. I could see them doing away with this as other carriers don't have this nice policy. The other carriers make exceptions from time to time, but pretty much you only upgrade 30 days out.

Just a note on the SGSII, it could very well have 4G on the Verizon variant. The Sprint Epic 4G was their SGS variant and it got 4G, really it's up to verizon to decide it that happens or not, just saying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones