• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update: 2.1 OS upgrade for Rogers HTC Magic+

The irony is that the safer update is the one they don't want us to do, flash rom from recovery mode. Of course this isn't for the average user but if you can get into recovery mode then the worst is that you have to do it again or restore your backup. So for those that are running alternative roms then be careful with the official update. I did it from recovery and was confident that I could restore my nandroid backup if it didn't go well. Right now I could flip back and forth if I wanted.
(disclaimer: the update includes a newer radio so it requires a fastboot flash which can be dangerous if not done right. However the update works fine with the slightly older radio too, I flashed the newer one after seeing that the update worked)

Bottom line is that if you have any doubts then reset your device before doing the update so that there is plenty of room. Mine is now running the official rom with the only difference being that I can go back to 2.2 or any CM rom if this one gives any grief.

Upvote 0
My wifes Magic and my own had flawless installations. Although i had a few force close issues with some items ever so briefly they appear to have calmed down but i will be monitoring the phone for the next week like a hawk and put it through its paces. i had been able to achieve 111 megs of free internal memory just before the flash, now im down to 86. Of course installing the Rockband media player taking up 15 megs didn't help matters :)

Actually quite happy with it, it does feel smoother and faster. A better all round experience with some extra HTC widgets and fully functional Google Maps. about time.

Satisfied for now. The wait was hellishly long but whats past is past and done is done. Now if Rogers can only fix their awful data and voice plan prices and stop bundling voicemail with bullshit and charging $15 for a 'value' pack... and get in line with European pricing (i got a pay as you go SIM card in poland from Orange for 30 PLN ($10 CDN) and i got 30 sms texts OR anywhere in poland calling for 2 grozy per minute (100 grozy per 1 PLN) and 1 F'N GIG of data!!!! i got another Gig for recharging the SIM card!!! now thats VALUE!

Course this isn't a rip solely at Rogers, its all CDN telecoms are raping rat bastages. But at least Rogers got me my 2.1. YAY!

Upvote 0
Well, I think I now have a reason to update my personal Magic.

The GMAIL app now allows for multiple email accounts. Even better, finally business GMAIL calendar synchronization.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Since updating, I no longer have two way calendar synchronization!

I can create an appointment on the phone, and that appointment will sync with my cloud corporate GMAIL account.

But appointments on the cloud corporate GMAIL account WILL NOT sync to the phone.

This appears to be a well known issue.
Some have suggested clearing out the calendar data cache but that doesn't help.

Anyone know of a solution?

Upvote 0
little help pls, I am running CM6 on my Rogers HTC Magic with SPL 1.76.2007, radio 3.22.20.17.

I dont have data. There is no option to do system update check from CM6 menu. How can I do the update?

I dont want to brick my phone :) pls help

You have to downgrade to the Rogers post E911 rom (RUU_Sapphire_Rogers_WWE_3.05.631.7_R_release_signed_NoDriver) then you will be prompted to do the upgrade.. That's what I did as I still have the file

Anyone know why Friend Stream was not included with the new rom?

Upvote 0
Attn CM6 users.

It is my belief that this update replaces the Radio and SPL only and recovery.

The recovery version that you are probably running (Amon-Ra for the Magic) is not compatible with the SPL/Radio that is being flashed by the RUU. When the RUU then tries to use recovery to flash the rom it can't because recovery is broken.

If you are going to flash the E911 RUU or the 2.1 RUU it would be best if you changed your Radio/SPL/Recovery to versions that will be compatible with what the RUU is flashing.

Here is a link to an easy script that will allow you to change all three at once.

[TOOL]Radio Switcher v."GUI 4" More secure than ever! [Win/Linux/Mac] - xda-developers

Make sure to do a nandroid backup first.

gbd

Reactions: thor124
Upvote 0
Ok maybe I spoke too soon.... Went in to Sound & Display and set my Default Notification Sound and it goes back to the factory default every time.
My incoming call sound has changed to what I chose... but Notifications for text messages just keeps reverting back.
Not really a huge issue - but has anyone else had this happen and if so... do you know how to change it?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
anyone experiencing reduced battery?

I use advanced android task killer every night and put it into sleep mode. Woke up this morning and no juice left in battery - that was only 5 hours.

I've got the same apps as before and I was able to get double the battery time without charge before.
I noticed reduced battery life too.
Too many apps open up in the back ground.

I use advanced android task killer too. when I kill some of the apps or try to use the phone after 2-3 hours, phone goes in the la la land for 15-20 seconds.

Upvote 0
anyone experiencing reduced battery?

I use advanced android task killer every night and put it into sleep mode. Woke up this morning and no juice left in battery - that was only 5 hours.

I've got the same apps as before and I was able to get double the battery time without charge before.

I thought it was just me... I have noticed reduced battery.

Upvote 0
I'm getting the "signature verification" error. I have tried the OTA and the PC method and same error.
Spent a few hours online with Rogers rep and after a few resets and crashes, we ended up at the same point.
I have been flashing different recoveries and things turn out the same in the end. Don't know what to do except enjoy v1.5 :thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm getting the "signature verification" error. I have tried the OTA and the PC method and same error.
Spent a few hours online with Rogers rep and after a few resets and crashes, we ended up at the same point.
I have been flashing different recoveries and things turn out the same in the end. Don't know what to do except enjoy v1.5 :thinking:

Root it and put 2.2 on it. :)

Upvote 0
Root it and put 2.2 on it. :)

I was thinking of doing this, but I'm curious if you know of a how-to for rooting,upgrading (2.2) and flashing the proper recovery rom for the ROGERS htc magic. From my brief digging, we need to flash a hero recovery rom instead of the "HTC Magic" Rom. I read a thread at xda-developers about how some dude almost bricked his rogers magic by putting on a "htc magic" recovery rom....so yeah the fact that this is pretty counter intuitive makes me a bit uneasy.

I know it can be done, but is there a specific how-to for our roger magics?

many thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones