1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Update wont install

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RedneckDroid, Apr 26, 2012.

1. RedneckDroid

RedneckDroid Member
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    Retail Manager
    North Carolina
    Hey guys, here's my story. I bought a shiny new droid 4 off of craigslist and had verizon port it over and everything was peachy for about two weeks..but this morning I went to update and it failed..several times. I did a command check and I'm not rooted( I refuse to fool with such) but I did notice the app drawer seemed light compared to what normally comes on moto phones..so is there anything I can do from here or does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. m_a_b

m_a_b Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2011
    need more info. Try to install the update and once it reboots and you see the little box unpacking hit both volume buttons at the same time to see what is going on so you can see the error that fails.

I am guessing that you are getting a status 7 error and are missing some apps. If so, read this:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1406550

and use this system dump:
    http://androidforums.com/droid-4-all-things-root/501021-droid-4-dump.html

to put the apps back.

It is an iterative process that takes a while because it only tells you one app at a time what is missing and you have to keep going back and re-downloading and installing the update to see what fails next.

wash. rinse. repeat. (until it works)

RedneckDroid likes this.
  3. RedneckDroid

RedneckDroid Member
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    Retail Manager
    North Carolina
    That was the problem and I read the thread you linked..now every update file I downloaded failed..so this may be a stupid question but is there any way I can fix this without having to be rooted?

4. m_a_b

m_a_b Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2011
    no. you'll need access to the system folder, hence, root. However, you can use rootkeeper to set it back to unrooted temporarily if you are worried about taking it to the verizon store or something.

Having root just gives you more access/permissions. Just because you have it doesn't mean you need to flash a new rom or anything. You can also unroot it I think, but why do it? It comes in handy sometimes.

5. m_a_b

m_a_b Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2011
    I guess one other option is to take it back to verizon and have them fix it, but I think I know how that conversation will go...