• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updated to Metro 2.3 via Metro App Store, now cannot root phone!!

I was having some issues with cm7 and I wanted to go back to the metro pcs rom, and when I did on the Metro App Store there was a version 2.3, the same as cm7, so I upgraded to that and now nothing I try is rooting my phone. Gingerbreak, z4root, nothing. I even got superoneclick and it is not working, just hangs.

I am still pretty new at all of this, if anyone has any work arounds or can help, please do, I would greatly appreciate it!! :D

I have tried gingerbreak, which worked on my 2.2 update at the time, z4root, which looks like it is working, then says getting root shell and stops, and I cannot get superoneclick to work at all, my windows 7 pc and this ascend just do not like each other!! Does anyone else have any ideas on how to root this stupid phone, I really liked cm7 but had some major issues with the gps not working right and not being able to use the camera fully or the headset plug in. I need some serious help!!!

Upvote 0
how would i update past 2.2? i cant figure out ho to do the cm7

If you are on Metropcs, go to the app store and the ascend 2.3 upgrade is listed there. It is not listed on the website, this is the only place I found it. Once I updated that, my phone was not rooted anymore and now I cannot root it anyway I try!! I guess if I go back to 2.2, it will root with z4root. Maybe!!

Upvote 0
Wow, I never knew Metro came out with an official 2.3 update for the Ascend. This its the first I've heard of it, so I have no idea how to root it, but if this is true, I'm impressed it even exists. I wish Cricket would support their products like that. We never even got 2.2.

I misquoted, the loading program was 2.3 but the ROM is 2.2.2 that I downloaded. I had a bear of a time of rooting the phone, seems to be now, I used the newer version of superoneclick and then z4root and both together got it rooted. now I can't download root explorer, says I purchased it, but when I try to download it says that I did not. Android market people have the problem and have not gotten a workaround for me to purchase it so that I can use it, does someone have a free version out there that I can download? Or is there another program that I can use to get the bloatware out!!!

I have tried rom tool box, Titanium Backup, and I cannot find appkik or any of the other programs that are mentioned. This is so frustrating!!!! Why will this bloatware not uninstall!!!!

Upvote 0
Only thing is can think of is clear cache and fix permissions... :-\

Well I thought maybe if I started again, I did get the phone rooted, then I finally got the bloatware uninstalled. I was in TB, and thought I was restoring some apps I had downloaded, and then things went really bad!! My phone kept coming up with some weird error and I could do nothing. thought, just start fresh again, reinstalled 2.1 then tried to upgrade again to 2.2 and now I am stuck!! It gets about 1/3 of the way through the install and then comes up with a yellow sign that says update failed and it is done. I have to pull the battery to get it back. So now what do I do???? Something is messed up in the phone and I am stuck with 2.1!!! This is not good at all, I hated 2.1 and need 2.2 so that I can move things to sd, I have a bunch of apps I use all the time and need on my phone!!

Someone please have an easy fix for me, please!!! I don't have the phone rooted so I can't wipe any caches or anything like that. What do I do!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones