• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating Apps in Google Play Stalls

KupKrazy

Android Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2010
The Big Apple
I tried searching the forums but apparently no one else is experiencing this?

Frequently (not all the time but the majority of the time), when I have a number of apps to update in the Google Play store, the store seems to stall after updating one or two apps after I click on the Update xx button.

That is, let's say I have 10 apps to update... I would click on "Update 10" on the upper right corner and then all of the apps that need updating will get that in progress bar.. One or two apps would get updated fine, but then it would just stall and continue to just sit there with those in progress bars still there as if it's waiting for something. The only solution is for me to click on "Stop 10" and then restart it again in hopes of it working. This is very annoying when I have a bunch of apps to update and I've had this issue for a very long time now and what's more puzzling is that it happens on ALL of my Android phones. I currently have 3 phones over 2 providers and it happens on each one.

Samsung Charge - Verizon - Froyo
Samsung GS3 - ATT - ICS
Samsung GNote - ATT - ICS
HTC Vivid - ICS

Anyone have any clue as to what is going on? This happens on both WiFi and over the air. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason when it happens - but I think it mostly happens on ICS.

I noticed it first when my Vivid was upgraded to ICS early this year.
Then I noticed it on my GS3 which already had ICS.
Then it started to happen after my GNote was upgraded to ICS.
But what's weird is that my old Charge with Froyo - it happens occasionally - but less than the other phones.

Anyone know what I'm doing that causes this? Do I have cooties or something?! :thinking:

This morning my GS3 is being particularly finicky - it's stalling after each single app update. First it was update 15 then stall. Then update 14 then stall... I just had to stop and restart the Update 12.... jeez

I also have this problem. I have a dual boot Nook HD+, and because I go long periods (days) without using one of the boot partitions, several apps may be waiting to update. I have tried clearing out any competing apps, killing all before starting, cleaning caches (including Google Play), etc. Uninstalled virus checker too. No help.

If I stop the updates again, one or two apps may install before it stalls again, and even those two download and install very slowly.

Sometime I have noticed that one of the installs in the queue has been waiting for my to approve changed permissions. But I never get notified until restarting after a stall.

It "feels" like the cache allocation is too small for the number of apps in the queue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, since sometimes have 20 apps waiting to update and it is a real pain to introduce them one or two at a time.

Upvote 0
It might be caused by one of two things: (1) Either your internet|Wifi connections aren't has strong\stable to carry that load at one time. However, if the problem also happen while updating a single application ...then (2) you might need to either uninstall the Google Play store, or clear data within the play store app.

Hopefully someone else might chime in with their thoughts, or a better solution to fix this problem.

Good luck. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones