• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Upgrade from 2.3.9 Advice

EDIT: This solution ONLY works if you are running a STOCK 2.2.15 installation, but your version number is incorrect because you installed a "build.prop" file from another version or from a site on the net. Many of us, me included, installed a version of build.prop from the leaked version, and our version number changed to 2.2.39, even though we had not installed the leaked version. So, if you DID NOT install the leaked version of 2.2, and have had trouble installing the update, and you received a failure warning that mentions build.prop, then this solution might work for you. Bottom line, make sure you keep a backup of your build.prop if you mess around with the file. You never know when you might need it.

Original post:

Success!!

I removed the existing build.prop file from my system folder, and placed the attached file in its place.

Turned off my phone.

Turned it back on in recovery mode (Hold the Home Key and the Power key until you get a little Android guy, then click the search button.).

Asked the phone to install from update.zip (the file downloaded from this site, and placed on the root directory of the SD card.)

The install ran normally.

Clicked the option to re-boot the phone.

Rebooted normally - although it seemed to take a while for the android eye to go away.

All appears well. Phone reports it is Version 2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.US

I did LOSE ROOT ACCESS.....but that is a topic for another thread, and something that has already been resolved.

Happy camper.

Attachments

• build.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: bobomatic and LaZeR
Upvote 0
...Rebooted normally - although it seemed to take a while for the android eye to go away.

Dang, you're not kidding about this part. Took nearly 5 minutes had me a bit scared.
scared.gif

Upvote 0
Dang, you're not kidding about this part. Took nearly 5 minutes had me a bit scared.
scared.gif

Yea, it takes a while on first boot. After that it is pretty fast.

If you are going to use Z4 to root, it seems to hang sometimes. I read at the developers site that someone had a similar problem, rebooted, and it worked the next time.

I rebooted, cleared my cache, and ran Z4 and got a Forced Close, and a forced re-boot. This time I let it set for a few minutes before I ran Z4 - only to learn that I was rooted.

Yea! Life is good....now it's time to get some work done.

Reactions: LaZeR
Upvote 0
OK, mine is working great. No issues at all, except for the battery life sucks, and I miss my build.prop modifications.

So, I've attached the file I just installed in my DX. Works great for me. I can't take credit for the modifications, I obtained the information from this post:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/164447-mod-lots-build-prop-edits.html

But I used the original build.prop file I posted earlier as the base, and ONLY made the changed listed here as follows, and the text is copied from the above post, and the comments are from the original post, not mine:

To make the phone ring faster when dialing out, I changed

ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=3000

to

ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=1000

Now the phone rings pretty much instantly when dialing out.

Now, to save battery by decreasing the amount of time Wifi looks for an access point, I changed

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 60

to

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 90

Now wifi will scan once every 1.5 minutes when not around a known location instead of once every minute which will save battery.

I also changed the Dalvik VM heap size from

dalvik.vm.heapsize=30m

to

dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m

I remember doing this on my Eris and I was able to run JIT w/ sense enabled (which was a major hassle at the time) It helps with stability and gives apps more room to run afaik

To enable the hard key lights to stay on while the screen is on and not timeout, I changed

ro.mot.buttonlight.timeout=1
to
ro.mot.buttonlight.timeout=0

To make the phone come off of the "black screen" in the middle of, or the end of phone calls when you pull the phone away from your face, I changed

mot.proximity.delay=450
to
mot.proximity.delay=150

The delay is almost no longer NOTICEABLE at all. (It was very annoying to me personally)

OK, so this worked for me. Make SURE you keep a backup of the original build.prop file. I never thought I would need one, and did not save mine the first time I downloaded a file. So, lesson learned.

Attachments

• build.prop.modified.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
Success!!

I removed the existing build.prop file from my system folder, and placed the attached file in its place.

Turned off my phone.

Turned it back on in recovery mode (Hold the Home Key and the Power key until you get a little Android guy, then click the search button.).

Asked the phone to install from update.zip (the file downloaded from this site, and placed on the root directory of the SD card.)

The install ran normally.

Clicked the option to re-boot the phone.

Rebooted normally - although it seemed to take a while for the android eye to go away.

All appears well. Phone reports it is Version 2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.US

I did LOSE ROOT ACCESS.....but that is a topic for another thread, and something that has already been resolved.

Happy camper.

I copied the build.prop to the /system folder. When I reboot into recovery (for update.zip), I get the following: assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/AccountAndSynchSettings.apk"...and a bunch of numbers. Any ideas? It says error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)

Can anyone help???

Upvote 0
I copied the build.prop to the /system folder. When I reboot into recovery (for update.zip), I get the following: assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/AccountAndSynchSettings.apk"...and a bunch of numbers. Any ideas? It says error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)

Can anyone help???

Which "build.prop" did you use before trying the update. I'm guessing jcarlosfox's latest edited one is AFTER the update but I haven't checked it.

Upvote 0
(Status 7)

Can anyone help???

The error message is not what I was seeing when I had the build.prop error.

Make sure you update.zip file is in the root directory of your SD card. Also, it never hurts to clear your cache. Also, make sure you are using tge first build.prop file I posted.

It never hurts to download the update.zip file again. Who knows, you might have a bad download.

Also, make sure your build.prop file is the only "build" file in the system directory, and that you successfully copied the original file from this site. Verify the system version file is correct.

Finally, it never hurts to re-boot and try again.

You will lose root, so make sure you already have your rooting method available so you can update build.prop to your customized settings.

Upvote 0
The error message is not what I was seeing when I had the build.prop error.

Right.

Make sure you update.zip file is in the root directory of your SD card. Also, it never hurts to clear your cache. Also, make sure you are using tge first build.prop file I posted.

It is in the root directory.

It never hurts to download the update.zip file again. Who knows, you might have a bad download.
I have downloaded and tried this several times (from OTA).

Also, make sure your build.prop file is the only "build" file in the system directory, and that you successfully copied the original file from this site. Verify the system version file is correct.
I looked in the /system directory and it is the only build file I see.

Finally, it never hurts to re-boot and try again.
Been there, done that. :)

You will lose root, so make sure you already have your rooting method available so you can update build.prop to your customized settings.
Thank you...I'll keep that in mind.

I am still getting the same error.

Upvote 0
Very strange.

Are you downloading the update file from the link on this site? That is the file I used, and it worked great.

Other than that, you may have to try a factory reset, or sbf the 2.2.

There is also a pdf from Vdrizon circulating that if you can't update, take the phone to Verizon. That would be the LAST thing I do.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas, but I'm no expert. I am a noob at best.

Upvote 0
OK, well maybe it's time to dig in a little.

What was the status of your phone before you started downloading thr update?

Was it rooted?
What version number was the phone reporting?

Did you replace build.prop because you had the wrong version number, or because update failed?

Did you root just to change the build.prop? If so, your problems, while similar to mine, were not exactly like mine. If that is the case, you might go back to where you were and open a new post here so that the real experts have a crack at the problem.

Upvote 0
What was the status of your phone before you started downloading thr update?

I was on 2.3.9 leaked version.

Was it rooted?
Not until I changed the build.prop

What version number was the phone reporting?

Did you replace build.prop because you had the wrong version number, or because update failed?
I couldn't upgrade due to the build.prop error.

Did you root just to change the build.prop? If so, your problems, while similar to mine, were not exactly like mine. If that is the case, you might go back to where you were and open a new post here so that the real experts have a crack at the problem.

I rooted just to change the build.prop file.

Upvote 0
That answers everything I needed.

This thread kind of deviated from the initial post. The build.prop fix I posted only works with people who were actually STOCK, but had an incorrect version number reported because they used an "aftermarket" build.prop that changed the version number, but did not change the version.

You have a true leaked version that needs to be updated.

You need to reinstall your original build.prop, and get the correct files to flash sbf. That is your only path to updating your phone. When I get back to my laptop I will edit my solution to make sure it is clear what is being fixed.

There are a lot of posts on how to flash to 2.2 (don't flash to 2.1 it will brick your phone. If you managed to install a leaked OS you will manage to flash the sbf. You have the skills and the tools. You just need to follow instructions.

Search this site, tbe solution is there.

Upvote 0
Well, you actually don't need it. Now that I think of it, when you flash the sbf you will probably get the new build.prop.

I don't think this thread is going to get your solution. I think I'm the only one who is subscribed, and it's like the blind leading the blind at this point.

Thanks for all your help. I started another thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones