• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Use skin/case-Don't use skin/case

I'm just curious as to how many people leave there phones naked.
And how many people use a skin or case, or even screen protector.
Personally, I won't leave the house without my otterbox commuter case on, I just feel like it would be for me to leave me house without clothes on, Dones't feel right.

at the moment I run the phone naked. I have a seidio case, clear snap together case and one of those high gloss semi rigid skins. In the end I can't stand cases because the phone just feels so good in the hand. The seidio case is the closest thing to naked, to me, but it just didn't work for the long haul.

anyone wanna buy my extra cases? lol

Upvote 0
I have a zagg screen protector and a couple different silicone cases for daily use...... I also have one of the more rugged waterproof otterbox cases for when Im on the tractor (Ive run over a phone or 2 in the past :( ).....wife has a zagg and one of the hard cases with the "pretty" pictures on hers

if you decide to get a pouch/holster of some type it makes a difference in what type of case use....... even the thinner silicone cases wont fit in just every holster ( I had to look around to find one that fit )

Upvote 0
Here's why I use both:
Keeps glass from getting scratched. Peel off and apply a fresh protector - just like NASCAR.
If you drop the phone and it has a nice silicone skin, it is less likely to be damaged. After all, I own it and would have to pay for a replacement/repair.
I want to keep it "as new" if I decide to sell it down the road.

Upvote 0
I have never used a screen protector but used a silicone case for a couple of months but stopped using it a few months ago and since then have enjoyed going completely naked. Sometimes I use a leather holster on my waistband but when actually using it, there is nothing, nothing like the feel of it naked, the way it was meant to be. It has a nice feel and size. (this is starting to sound xxx rated ;) I have heard stories of course about ppl having them slip out of their hands and breaking but I am pretty careful with it. Maybe I will regret it someday if that happens but I don't regret the pleasure I get out of it now, naked :)

Upvote 0
Great responses guys!, whenever I do take off the otterbox case, I love the feel of the phone naked and contemplate putting it back on. Now that I have root, I'm extra careful with the phone, Root is like getting a new phone again! I haven't dropped the phone on a hard surface yet..knock on wood.. but if I do I hope I have the otterbox on. I've gotten used to the extra thickness of the case but it isn't that bad it's easier to hold. But like other have said there's just nothing like the feel of the phone naked.

Upvote 0
I used a snap on cover for the first two months and then took it off. This phone is just to damn sexy to be covered up!

I dropped it in my driveway the day after I took the cover off. It landed on battery side down thankfully. It got a few little dings on the battery cover, but I wiped it off and now you have to look really close to see them.

I don't know if I can ever go back to a case.

Upvote 0
my eris has been in the buff since day one... theres a youtube vid somewhere of this guy taking like a key and a knife to the glass and... guess what? no scratches! (i've heard if you were to drop it really hard onto something pointy and it hits just the right place it could crack tho...) I'm pretty careful with my phone and haven't dropped it yet so I don't need a case... i think thats what i usually end up doing tho is after i've had a phone for a long time and it does start to take a beating... i'll get a case to cover up the boo-boos...

Upvote 0
I use a screen protector only. I have checked for a case of some sort that would work for me, but I like the minimal feel of the phone.

My wife has the same phone, and has a silicone case as well as the screen protector. She tends to drop hers a bit more then mine.

So far I love the feel of it, and haven't had any major issues. I did drop it once, but it landed on a rug so no damage.

Upvote 0
I use the snap on case and holster that they sell at verizon; feels good in the hand, and the holster isn't too... obnoxious, I guess? I'm still also using the free screen protector my eris came with, seems to be doing its job.

Edit: Another plus of using the case/holster combo is that the snap on case is just thick enough to create some insulation between you and the battery/phone. No more hot phone problems for me!

Upvote 0
I'm just curious as to how many people leave there phones naked.
And how many people use a skin or case, or even screen protector.
Personally, I won't leave the house without my otterbox commuter case on, I just feel like it would be for me to leave me house without clothes on, Dones't feel right.

I'm just the opposite. It just doesn't feel right if I have something covering the phone. It's such a nice looking phone, why cover it? It's like when people put those front "bras" on their cars. All it does it make the car look worse and it traps dirt underneath which ultimately scratches the finish and ends up making things worse.

I also HATE screen protectors. They make the screen look like crap and the Eris' screen is virtually scratch proof anyway. I used to put screen protectors on my stuff (my DS, my old PDA, etc.) but I eventually woke up and realized they're mostly useless unless you're working in a harsh environment and constantly have dirt and chemicals on your hands. To the average user all it does it make you think you're adding protection to the phone when you don't really need it. But then again my phone goes in a pocket all by itself when I carry it around.

In the end I'd rather my phone have some minor scratches and dings then have any sort of case/protector on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones