• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

User experience: Legend vs Hero

AussieAndroid

Jun 30, 2010
I'm new to this Android business. I bought my First Android device (a Hero) a few weeks ago and spent 2 weeks with it before giving it to my missus (it was bought for her).

Now I miss it.

So, I wanna get one for myself, but I dunno if it's worth getting a Legend?

I was happy with the Hero, and I assume when it gets updated to 2.1 (hers is an Aussie one and we're still waiting) that it will just get better.

The main reasons why I'm not considering the Desire is purely cos of size and battery life. I'm sick of having phones that last me a day, but those last few hours I have to be very careful with. The hero would last me the whole day plus some. I could play robo defence for hours and not have to worry about finding a charge point, unlike my Nokia N900 where if I even just install an app, I have to worry about charging it up.

I've heard the Legend doesn't have as good battery life, but that's ok, cos I was planning on getting a Mugen power battery. I've never considered getting one before, but they seem to have one for the Legend that DOESN'T require an extra large battery cover. Awesome!

I've also heard about wireless problems with the Legend? This concerns me, as I tend to have my phones connected to wireless for most of the day constantly checking emails.

So, I'm just looking for user reviews on the differences between the Hero and the Legend. Not what's written on paper, just things that ppl may have noticed when they switched between the phones that affected the experience of using these phones in real life.

Cheers.

I find that the Legend battery will last 24 hours, but then you will have to charge it. I have charging leads in my car and at work and try and keep it charging when I can.

I've had no problems with wi-fi at all, but the bluetooth has occasional niggles.

It is without doubt the best phone I have ever had and would recommend it to anyone. My wife also got a Legend the day after I got mine as we were amazed at what it could do.

Upvote 0
I had a hero briefly before the desire I have now, and I'm happy enough with the battery life on it, it lasts me all day, but need to charge it every night. No big problem though as long as you aren't playing games on it all day long.

The phone itself is a vast improvement over the hero, thanks to it's faster CPU, android 2.1, etc. The only gripe I have is the loudspeaker sounds like a kazoo, other than that I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I am a high powered user compared to most. I need to be constantly connected via email (2 accounts) at the very least. IM whenever I need it. Internet browsing whenever I require. Games whenever I feel like it (maybe an hour or 2 if I find something fun). Calls to make and take as well as txt as necessary.

My recent phones (nokia E71 and N97) have lasted me a day (8am-12pm) barely. My current N900 doesn't last that without a charge in between somewhere.

I'm very determined to get a phone which will COMFORTABLY last through my day. The Hero did that. I have no problem charging every night. I will regardless of what phone I get. The point is to have that much extra in reserve so I don't have to worry about it.

I'm 99% sure the Desire won't get me through more than half of my type of day. And I don't like the battery options for it. Not to mention, I want the legend/hero form factor.

Upvote 0
Holding the Hero and Legend side by side, you really notice the screen quality of the Legend. It's so much clearer. On the downside, the colours are way too vibrant. Some of my photos almost look like cartoon drawings.

The other thing I've noticed is that Eclair on the Legend runs a lot better than Cupcake on the Hero. I'm still waiting to get the 2.1 update for the Hero so hopefully that will bring things up to scratch. But yeah, Eclair feels a lot smoother. I know the Legend has (slightly) faster specs, but it's almost the same.

I prefer the Hero button layout and tactile feel. The Legend's buttons feel very average taking into account the rest of the phone is built SO well. The Optical trackpad thing is much better than the Hero's nipple.

The Legend feels harsher against your head when making calls due to the aluminium body.

Upvote 0
I'm not a "heavy" user, but on average i would say ive been sending/receiving around 15sms a day 1 call, and lots of random messing around (browsing,music,games) through out the day and i get around 27 hours till i have to plug it in, the main battery hog for me is wifi, but ive never had any problems with it, beside when you're on the edge of the wifi signal.

Upvote 0
I've had my Legend for two months now and have used it in a wide variety of situations. I have all the background data syncs on (Gmail, Twitter, calendar etc.) and use Twitter quite heavily during the day and game quite a bit at night.

I leave the 3G and Wi-Fi on all the time now (I used to disable whatever I wasn't using for a wee bit more battery life) but GPS is only on when I need it. The Vodafone network where I am is really cruddy so the phone must be having to transmit at high/full power just about all the time which won't help battery life one bit.

Firstly, I would say that whatever battery performance you see out of the box is almost certainly the worst you are going to see in a long time. I've had three Legends so far (long story...) and with each one the reported battery life has improved drastically during the first week or so. I'm not sure if this is to do with the way the phone measures the battery, or the cells themselves getting 'bedded in' a bit, but it is a real difference that I've seen. I'm guessing most/all Android phones will be similar in this regard? Can't say I've noticed it on any other li-ion powered device that I've owned.

After that initial period I'd say that a waking day (16 hours) is a cinch in all but the most extreme circumstances, and most of the time I reckon I'd get away with nearly two before I need to charge it again. I have a micro USB at home, at work and in the car so I'm never caught out but most of the time I just stick it on charge when I go to bed (10-11pm) and unplug it when I get up (6am) and I would say that mostly it still has 30-40% charge left when I plug it in.

Only when I've been out and about using HSDPA downloads and GPS heavily during the day have I had any problems - I've had it switch itself off maybe twice, and one of those times was when I spent about 5 hours solid on Twitter during the World Cup, so not exactly typical usage.

Bottom line: It's a 2010 smartphone so the battery life will be terrible compared to normal phones, but I have to say that the Legend meets my criteria for battery life without too many compromises.

Upvote 0
I say go for the Legend. It's an upgraded version of the Hero and it's new, not to mention it runs Android 2.1.

You'll get a much, much better screen since the Legend has an AMOLED-display which is what almost all newer smartphones have these days, a slightly faster processor and slightly more memory which will most likely make using it a better experience. Also, the Legend has built-in flash, the Hero doesn't. The Hero is plasticy while the Legend has a much, much stronger build with its unibody aluminum structure. You'll feel the difference by just holding it. Give it a try. I'm sure you'll agree with me that the Legend is your best bet compared to the Hero especially when it costs just a little more.

Also try reading a couple of online reviews for both. This always comes in handy when you're trying to decide which device to get.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones