• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using G1 as a radio

zeroburn

Lurker
Nov 29, 2008
Hey all-

I'm able to connect my G1 to my Kenwood in-dash cd player in my car. It can read my SD card and what not, which is cool. it also charges.

What would be *even cooler* would be able to use the G1 as a streaming radio to the headunit - picking up stations off the internet. I haven't found anything like this done on the forums/internets yet, I'm wondering if the mobile connection is good enough to stream that kind of data.

There's an app in the market called Antplayer iirc, it plays internet radio streams. You can search for streams and also input stream urls.

With that, and if you have an aux input on the deck and a headphone jack adapter for the G1, (If you get the 3-in-1 adapter, you can charge the G1 and listen to music at the same time) you can stream internet radio to your G1 and have the sound output come through your stereo. That's what I do, but currently I don't have an aux input in my deck so I have to use a FM transmitter, but basically it's the same thing.

Upvote 0
Another neat thing I just figured out:

With that 3-in-1 adapter, you can also answer your calls without needing to disconnect the cable and hold it to your ear.

Just like with the stock headphones, if a call comes in while listening to music, the music pauses and the phone rings which you can answer with the button on the headphones. There is also a mic on the stock headphones...

With that adapter, you have your aux/FM transmitter plugged into the 3.5mm stereo output. The charger plugged into the usb. You can also still plug the stock headphones into the HTC proprietary headphone jack. The phone rings through the car stereo, and with the headphones plugged in you can answer the call with the button and talk through the mic. You hear the person on the other end coming through the car speakers. Just push the button again and the phone hangs up and music comes back on.

Just like having bluetooth in your car, only many, my car included, don't have it.

I also use an FM transmitter that has a built-in usb charging port. I connect the G1 to it with a usb to mini-usb cable, so I'm not using another outlet with a separate charger. It's all a strange setup, but hey, it works and I'm happy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones