• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using Hangouts rather than stock message app

dynomot

Android Expert
Dec 4, 2011
Sheffield U.K
OK, OK when you've quite stopped laughing. Even root users like me get confused!

I've made "Hangouts" my default messaging app rather than Samsung's own baked in one, and joined the Google world even more. I'm liking it, but I have a problem. I sent my better half a text message using it, it came through as a hangout. Then I sent her a normal Samsung SMS and the reply from her said yes her normal (she's using a Galaxy S3) text messaging app (she's using the normal Samsung app as default, it picked it up. Her reply came to me - naturally through Hangouts. However now I can't send her a Hangout message, in the conversion, it will only let me send an SMS, can't I interchange between the two in the same conversation? Here's a screen shot with my wife's number "redacted".

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005 - international Qualcomm version), just in case it is important.

I moved this over to Android Applications because it about Hangouts ... which, after all, in an application. :rolleyes:

Well, no, you can't. I have the same setup with the Mrs. She uses "messages" on her S3 and I use hangouts on my N6. If I send her something in hangouts, she gets confused. ;) I stick to standard SMS and MMS. It's best not to confuse the Mrs. :D

Reactions: kct1975 and dynomot
Upvote 0
Thanks lunatic59, yes it is an app unless your Nexus, then it's the stock option isn't it? Your right with the "Missus" BTW, mine is just discovering the joys of things smartphone and Android wise. It is hard not to go "meh" when she finds something out for herself, this would be cruel, as I remember my joy at finding something new, and I still do it :) Best not to confuse the better half, (In Yoda's voice, as if talking about the Dark Side) "Confusion leads to annoyance, annoyance leads to resentment, resement leads to suffering....." (usually yours).

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking, so please forgive me if this is way off...

In the scenario depicted in your screenshot, you *should* be able to tap the bottom-left (where it says "SMS") to switch between SMS and Hangouts. Is that not working for some reason?

I'm also using Hangouts as my only messaging client, both for SMS and Google Talk Hangouts messages (as well as Google Voice SMS messages).

Reactions: Stuntman
Upvote 0
I think what he's saying is that when the Wife uses hangouts and then uses messaging, it's two separate conversations to him rather than a consolidated thread. Yes? No?

If that's the case he needs to go into settings within hangouts and select merge conversations. It's at the bottom of the sms sub menu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones