• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using SD card memory instead of phone?

HI there, I got my Wildfire a few days ago and have transferred work files, music etc over onto it along with installing a load of apps.
The problem I have is that there is an 8GB memory card with 2.2 gb free and yet it keeps telling me the memory is low (17.31mb on the internal phone storage) and yet it is only giving me the option to uninstall things,.
How do I move apps or anything else onto the sd card as I can't find a menu for this.

TIA

I am facing the same problem with my HTC Wildfire. I have 8GB SD card and 7GB remaining space but it still gives low disk space notification due to which I am unable to send receive messages. As a last measure I have reduced the cache size from 6MB to 3MB but an not sure whether it will work.
Any pointers are welcome. I can't understand why the SD card memory is not being used

Upvote 0
The 2.2 update will allow apps to install direct to the card and be ran from the card. For now though you can only use a file manager program to move things around such as androzip but only for storage, not install files.

This is true. However, currently only a handful of applications have been re-written by the developer to include this functionality in 2.2.

Other limitations are:

1) It doesn't move the entire application, only parts of it
2) Widgets still need to be on the internal memory.

Other alternatives are:

Install astro file manager to back up your apps to SD card and uninstall ones you seldom use. You can reinstall from backup using astro as and when.

Root your phone and flash a custom ROM with apps2sd+ support.

use this method to force apps to SD card - tested on HTC Desire

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones