• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USPS bs

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
My friend is trying to apply for a job with the post office but doesn't know much about online stuff. I'm the lucky volunteer. The website is just about useless as far as I can tell. It wouldn't work with Firefox (not supported) but googoo's not faring much better. Any job title I can come up with and enter returns 0. I looked up the po phone number and surprisingly someone answered. Unfortunately the answer was the only way to apply is via the website, of course. How do we get him a job with them?

https://about.usps.com/careers/search-apply/

I was able to search PA for delivery/cust. service jobs and there were over 100. I think you have to pick the position first and then it takes you to the application.
Using the same link, with Chrome on my phone, I was able to search for various positions in California, like this:

Screenshot_20200709-104127.png

Just leave the first [keyword] field blank. Then select the state and the category. That's it!

Upvote 0
What category is mail handler assistant? I think it would be retail but maybe not. Why can't people just apply by (real) phone?
I would think a mail handler is someone who is working in the back, you know, handling mail. Unless things have changed, USPS is Civil Service, so that's just one of a myriad of reasons you can't apply by phone. Not to mention you'd need a couple dozen FTE just to handle those calls, complete waste of money.

Seriously, if someone is too bothered to figure out how to apply properly to the USPS, it's a sure sign they will NOT be happy working there. Bureaucracy, red tape, silly protocols and procedures, and lots of unhappy employees are only some of the perks...

Upvote 0
Why not just pick a likely category and see what job openings come up, @Rgarner?

It's unlikely you'd know the specific job titles used by the USPS, unless you're already an employee. So search through various categories and see if something that resonates with your friend comes up.

Upvote 0
I've finally made some headway but I had to use googoo instead of Firefox. I'm not happy about that.
What problems are you having with FF? Because I just repeated my earlier search using it instead of Chrome:

Screenshot_20200709-191440.png

and had no problems at all. :thinking:
If he gets registered that should make things easier. Why would they use java script? Isn't that some kind of malware?
No. :)

Upvote 0
It's a 505 error, I think. It says the browser is not supported. I guess they don't have to support everything, but Firefox, sheesh.

USPS definitely supports Firefox, I can view it with Firefox on Mac and Android. Are you using an old version?

FYI Current desktop Firefox seems to be 78.0.2

Upvote 0
It's a 505 error, I think. It says the browser is not supported. I guess they don't have to support everything, but Firefox, sheesh.
Um...I posted a screenshot successfully using the site with Firefox. :thinking:

Your problem is not FF; the days of programming for only certain browsers are long gone, and even if that still existed, FF would definitely be one of the supported browsers. You're having some other problem, like using an old version...or something.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Um...I posted a screenshot successfully using the site with Firefox. :thinking:

Your problem is not FF; the days of programming for only certain browsers are long gone, and even if that still existed, FF would definitely be one of the supported browsers. You're having some other problem, like using an old version...or something.

Maybe the javascript is turned off in the FireFaux settings?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones