• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Velocity Micro Cruz T510 - internal storage

VickiB

Feb 9, 2020
Somehow this thread has gotten everyone confused. Let's try again.

I have a Velocity Micro Cruz T510. For some reason, apps are installing into internal system storage, (RAM??) not internal storage (SD). Internal system storage is less than 1 GB. Internal "SD" storage is 8 GB.

I am NOT talking about an external SD card that can be inserted and removed. I am talking about the internal
"/mnt/sdcard" space that came with the device.

Again, I am NOT talking about external SD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier Black
Internal storage is what storage space that came with the phone. Your SD card is considered External storage....
Not internal at all....

No, there are two. There's the external SD that I stuck in (at /mnt/extsd) and the internal sd (at /mnt/sdcard).

When I look at the storage manager, it shows:

Internal storage: total space 765 MB (Apps (etc) 506 MB)
Internal Storage: 5.54 GB (Apps: 76 MB)

This is what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
No, there are two. There's the external SD that I stuck in (at /mnt/extsd) and the internal sd (at /mnt/sdcard).

Whatever you want to call it (regardless of how the actual directory is named), I'm talking about the storage space that came with the tablet. It's partitioned (or RAM and SD, or implementation really doesn't matter for this question).

The question is, why aren't apps installing into the large available internal space? Why am I running out of the small 1 GB "system" space?

Upvote 0

Are you replying to me? (because I clearly know this already). Did you see the link I posted?

I am NOT TALKING about the physical external SD card that I can eject with a push. Links to explanations of the difference between "internal" and "external" storage are not pertinent to the question here.

Please let go of your issues with the words I'm using. The _tablet_ calls everything "internal storage" including the External SD card.

Whatever you want to call it, the question is, why am I running out space on the small 1 GB "internal storage" when I have plenty of space on the large 8 GB "internal storage"?

Upvote 0
in most android devices you can set the external storage (sd card) as the internal storage. this is the only way to get the apps onto the sd card. but if you do this you run the risk of wearing out the sd card as it is constantly reading and writing onto the card which in turn will wear it out. so unless you set the card up as internal, the apps will never be saved to the sd card. you can move some apps to the card, but that only moves portions of the app where data is saved.

Upvote 0

Yeh, this Android 4.x tablet from 2012 is using partitioned internal storage, one partition for apps, and one for data. Which is basically obsolete now, and just about all devices now use unified storage, where the whole internal storage can be used for apps and data. I believe support for split/partitioned internal storage was removed in Android 6, and since then all devices have unified internal storage.

As the manufacturer designed it like that, I'm not sure that anything can be done about it, apart from rooting, hacking and modifying it...and good luck with that. ...no devs = no fun.

Back in 2012 when the T510 was released, most apps and games weren't really that large, unlike now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not talking about external SD card storage.

Vicky, so sorry for the confusion..even though you explained your self very well..FIVE TIMES..

I see what you are saying..I'm having that issue too every since I installed this costume rom a few days ago..the original stock version didn't have that..I've tried to delete that folder but it will populate back up right away..maybe some one has a solution

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-09-10-36-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-02-09-10-36-11.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 295
  • Screenshot_2020-02-09-10-36-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-02-09-10-36-51.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 293
  • Screenshot_2020-02-09-10-45-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-02-09-10-45-36.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 309
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones