• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Black Bean ROM is Nice

gapi

Android Expert
May 14, 2011
N GA
alcphoto.net
A hard core AOKP user I like to try others and always come home.

I have been checking out Baked Black Bean and mercy she taint bad.

If you like Darkness and inverted you will be in the right place, it has a choice for inverted GAPPs download. OTA updates. A Few lock screen targets and most if not all of what others have.

The supplied Kernel is Faux but I did a Lean Kernel flash and felt even more fast butter. And the governor you set to load at boot sticks.

Normally I try and kill it but the Bean has me setting it up for usage in full. I have both kernels nandroided and have swapped to and fro and like the Leaner.

The Black Bean is a sleeper. Kinda like my TRUCK.

Reactions: Steven58
The more I use this Bean them more I like it.

EDIT: I just realized Google Now is not in it. Thats got to be the smartest thing I have seen implemented in any of the ROM's I have tried. I gotta back up on this one. Its there and it somehow got shut off in the Google search/Settings/Google Now = Off :eek:.

What is the process for getting a thread going like the other ROMs have?

Reactions: SweatyPits
Upvote 0
Tried this rom tonight based on Gapi's recommendation. I like it. I've had problems with inverted apps on Sourcery although I love the rom and devs. However, before I switched I tried the inverted gapps and the extra inverted downloads for gmail and youtube from this rom and found they work great on Sourcery without breaking anything including fonts and system UI theme mods, which is where I ran into trouble before. :hmmmm:

So, now I'm going back and forth between the two. I like having inverted market, email and messaging so I may stick with Bean for a few days and see what shakes. Default kernel is faux and although it's too early to tell, but if it holds, it's the best life I've seen in months.

Reactions: gapi
Upvote 0
Tried this ROM for a few days and it was pretty buggy. Maybe I restored a system data element that I shouldn't have, but I didn't do anything different than I've been doing on every other ROM. I was getting bugs like nav bar buttons flashing and random semi-opaque menu items beneath the nav bar. I also made an effort to customize the nav bar and status bar more than I generally care to, and it ended up causing a lot of problems.

For example, I changed the nav bar and status bar transparency (done by hex code). Then when you get to the lockscreen, it's transparency doesn't match up with either so there's hard lines of shading on the lockscreen. So I went to change the lockscreen transparency and it's done with some random slider. No alpha % or hex code so it was (nearly) impossible to match the shades.

Now I remember why I don't generally get into ROMs with this much customization. I feel obligated to use it and then it turns out to be way too much work. Not saying this isn't a good ROM or that the bugs aren't fixable, just not the ROM for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones