• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Custom Auto Brightness Level Questions (AOKP or CM9)

andoird213

Android Expert
Oct 30, 2011
Hey all,

So the most swagalicious ROM in the world, AOKP, just got updated to Build 28 which introduced custom auto brightness levels. Now I had never been one to use auto brightness, it always made my phone too bright for my taste. I keep my phone brightness all the way at 0 (yes actually 0). So I figured that now that they introduced these custom brightness settings, I might be able to come up with parameters that produce only darker screen settings which is what I'm looking for. Now I've seen a few recommended settings in the AOKP Rootz Forum, but really what I want to know is what all of the different settings options mean (lower, upper, screen, buttons, allow light decrease, decrease hysteresis, window length, reset threshold, sample interval, and screen dim level) so I can create one to my liking.
I'm on AOKP, but if I'm not mistaken these are based off CM auto brightness settings so if anyone knows using either of these ROMs I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!!

Hey all,

So the most swagalicious ROM in the world, AOKP, just got updated to Build 28 which introduced custom auto brightness levels. Now I had never been one to use auto brightness, it always made my phone too bright for my taste. I keep my phone brightness all the way at 0 (yes actually 0). So I figured that now that they introduced these custom brightness settings, I might be able to come up with parameters that produce only darker screen settings which is what I'm looking for. Now I've seen a few recommended settings in the AOKP Rootz Forum, but really what I want to know is what all of the different settings options mean (lower, upper, screen, buttons, allow light decrease, decrease hysteresis, window length, reset threshold, sample interval, and screen dim level) so I can create one to my liking.
I'm on AOKP, but if I'm not mistaken these are based off CM auto brightness settings so if anyone knows using either of these ROMs I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!!

I posted in the AOKP thread about the auto-brightness check it out might help you. Just take the values from my screen shot of the "Edit Other Levels" in the "screen" column and lower them to your liking.

Reactions: andoird213
Upvote 0
I posted in the AOKP thread about the auto-brightness check it out might help you. Just take the values from my screen shot of the "Edit Other Levels" in the "screen" column and lower them to your liking.

I know this is the wrong forum for me, and is an old post, but I am running Decks Reloaded on my Evo 4g. As I was searching, I ran across results leading me here.
I just discovered this autobrightness thing and was wondering where your post was. The options I have in auto brightness levels, have got to be based on the same auto brightness tweaks you speak of. Could you post a link? Just for some explanation of terms etc. I even had to google "hysteresis"...didn't know what that meant.

Thank you in advance!:)

Upvote 0
I know this is the wrong forum for me, and is an old post, but I am running Decks Reloaded on my Evo 4g. As I was searching, I ran across results leading me here.
I just discovered this autobrightness thing and was wondering where your post was. The options I have in auto brightness levels, have got to be based on the same auto brightness tweaks you speak of. Could you post a link? Just for some explanation of terms etc. I even had to google "hysteresis"...didn't know what that meant.

Hmm I'm not quite sure where his post is. I'll look around, but I think the best thing to shoot jbdan a PM since he probably isn't subscribed to this thread any longer...he's a really cool and helpful dude, so I'm sure he'll be able to either point you to his post or re-explain, giving you what ya need either way :)

Reactions: jbdan and Mikestony
Upvote 0
Hmm I'm not quite sure where his post is. I'll look around, but I think the best thing to shoot jbdan a PM since he probably isn't subscribed to this thread any longer...he's a really cool and helpful dude, so I'm sure he'll be able to either point you to his post or re-explain, giving you what ya need either way :)
Cool. I will and thank you much:D

Upvote 0

Here is the page I think you were asking for, scroll down and you'll see my post on custom auto brightness settings. I have finally (after 6 months) settled on this it works perfectly for my usage. You'll surely have to adjust the "lower" and "screen" values to suit your taste in screen brightness in different settings, but it might be a good place to start. I was using that link I linked you for a long time, but it seems like the custom screen settings along with the gamma and multipliers tweaks have changed what it used to be. 9 levels was my "go-to" level, but now I've settled on 13 with these values: (hope it helps you!)

451ef55d.png

836964b7.png

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Here is the page I think you were asking for, scroll down and you'll see my post on custom auto brightness settings. I have finally (after 6 months) settled on this it works perfectly for my usage. You'll surely have to adjust the "lower" and "screen" values to suit your taste in screen brightness in different settings, but it might be a good place to start. I was using that link I linked you for a long time, but it seems like the custom screen settings along with the gamma and multipliers tweaks have changed what it used to be. 9 levels was my "go-to" level, but now I've settled on 13 with these values: (hope it helps you!)

451ef55d.png

836964b7.png

You rock jb :)

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones