• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Do you guys overclock, etc. (AOKP)?

Dabitz

Android Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010
NJ
I see the options to increase processor speed but I am afraid I might fry my phone. Do you guys use that option and what can I expect if I do this (other than less battery life)? I flashed the latest AOKP build 36, w LeanKernel 3.6.0 with the latest FC04 radios. I'm still learning so be patient with me. Max CPU has the option to overclock to 1350mgz. I could swear with the default Kernel for AOKP you could go even faster. Also, do you change the scaling governor and/or voltage control?

Just looking for those customizations that would take me to the next step. Even installed a theme and enjoying my phone... Take that Verizon!!!

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-16-15-34-32.png
    Screenshot_2012-05-16-15-34-32.png
    427.4 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: jbdan
If you're a heavy gamer on the phone and like to run benchmarks, you might enjoy OC'ing the phone. Otherwise the GN is so fast already I don't think it is necessary or worth it imo.

Do you find your phone lacking in speed or responsiveness at all? You can change the governor freely. The general consensus is that the InteractiveX or Interactive governors are typically the best overall performers. Although governor and tweaked kernel settings are user, phone, and kernel dependent.

With increased CPU speeds often comes increased heat, and sometimes increased mV's (voltages), although the latter not as much. With heat comes the shortening of electronic components lifespan.

A lot of people underclock (including me) as it runs cooler and gives a little extra battery life. Plus, I can't tell any difference what-so-ever from a ~200MHz drop in CPU frequency.

So tell us....what do you want different from how it runs now :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback. I thought the same thing, how fast can this thing be. I will experiment with under clocking it to see if the extra battery life is worth it. Phone performs really well already after rooting and installing AOKP. I had a bad feeling it would be a bad idea to overclock a phone that was this fast already.

The speed available before 1200MHz is 920MHz. Maybe I should try another Kernel?

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback. I thought the same thing, how fast can this thing be. I will experiment with under clocking it to see if the extra battery life is worth it. Phone performs really well already after rooting and installing AOKP. I had a bad feeling it would be a bad idea to overclock a phone that was this fast already.

The speed available before 1200MHz is 920MHz. Maybe I should try another Kernel?

I don't think it is necessarily a bad idea, just not much benefit if you're not using it for specific purposes that cater to an OC'd CPU.

Kernels really are phone/chip dependent and to a lesser degree user dependent. One kernel might run fantastic for one user and that same kernel could be a drag to another user.

Run your kernel at 920Mhz for a few days and see what you think. I'd certainly say to try all the kernels you want (there are many) and see what you and your phone like the most. Give them each a good run (3 days) to see what fits your uses.

Upvote 0
Run your kernel at 920Mhz for a few days and see what you think. I'd certainly say to try all the kernels you want (there are many) and see what you and your phone like the most. Give them each a good run (3 days) to see what fits your uses.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm definitively going to try this for a couple of days.

Upvote 0
Same here... running latest AOKP and GLaDOS kernel. OC'd to 1800, seemed the same as 1200. Left it at 1600 for the day and battery life just a little worse than 1200, but w/in margin of error.

BTW, I'm running the GLaDOS kernel, which is a bit different than others. The premise is that running at top speed means things finish quicker and use low power state when speed isn't needed. It has surprisingly low power use, as good as any other kernel. This kernel is very snappy, no lags.

Upvote 0
Same here... running latest AOKP and GLaDOS kernel. OC'd to 1800, seemed the same as 1200. Left it at 1600 for the day and battery life just a little worse than 1200, but w/in margin of error.

BTW, I'm running the GLaDOS kernel, which is a bit different than others. The premise is that running at top speed means things finish quicker and use low power state when speed isn't needed. It has surprisingly low power use, as good as any other kernel. This kernel is very snappy, no lags.

what about heat?

Upvote 0
so battery life with glados v133 westwood was really good, may have run a tad slower than leankernel but not by much. Temperatures ran good while gaming. HOWEVER, when i started web browsing and watching videos it did get hot and my phone stalled twice on me and had to do a battery pull...if it werent for that id use it as a daily but that stalling kinda deterred me so back to lean i guess, unless someone suggests another...

running aokpb36...

Upvote 0
so battery life with glados v133 westwood was really good, may have run a tad slower than leankernel but not by much. Temperatures ran good while gaming. HOWEVER, when i started web browsing and watching videos it did get hot and my phone stalled twice on me and had to do a battery pull...if it werent for that id use it as a daily but that stalling kinda deterred me so back to lean i guess, unless someone suggests another...

running aokpb36...

I've been on franco M3 since it dropped. Have not found an equal yet. Run 384-1036MHz with interactive gov. It doesn't need any other tweaks/hacks and I've never worried one iota about battery life though the day no matter how hard I am on the phone. Nice and cool running too :)

Upvote 0
I've been on franco M3 since it dropped. Have not found an equal yet. Run 384-1036MHz with interactive gov. It doesn't need any other tweaks/hacks and I've never worried one iota about battery life though the day no matter how hard I am on the phone. Nice and cool running too :)

Well i was kinda looking for something that was good on battery life and doesnt get hot...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones