• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Going With Tiered Data.

Yes we will be grandfathered in, but for how long? is really the question. If the carriers really think that tiered is the way to go they will not let people grandfather forever. There will come a point where if you want to change phones or the thing I see more likely is that to change to LTE we will loose unlimited.
Bingo!!!

You'll be fine as long as you keep your current plan. Or even upgrade phones (sans 4G). Unlimited 3G (which isn't truely unlimited, read the fine print people).

But at the point when you upgrade to 4G, that will be another plan and you'll have to switch to tiered data. And let's face it, the people here are phone and tech enthusiasts and I'd bet 99.9% will switch to LTE when possible.

Verizon has a history of tying phone plans to certain handsets and I don't see that changing when 4G devices become available.

I have mixed feelings. While I'll miss the unlimited plans, I do like the idea of cheaper data plans rather than the one size fits all $30 mandatory plan. When my wife upgrades soon to a Droid 2, I'd like the option of a $10 or $15 limited plan for her limited use as long as one condition is met.

As soon as you reach plan limits, it shuts your data off or obviously warns you of that fact, rather than charge you out the wazoo for overages.

*edit*: realized I just replied to a thread back from the grave. Can't old threads get highlighted or something, I never check the date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones