• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon GS3 signal reception thread

data issues related to dbm #'s?

• high dbm, data works fine

Votes: 53 68.8%
  • high dbm, data does not work

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • other: explain in comments

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters
Software update did fix signal issue for alot ppl. Just because it didn't for some dont mean the nexus had bad signal.

I think it's very very safe to say that the GNex is still plagued with a less than stellar radio and/or antenna. Those that have had little in the way of problems are almost always those that don't live in fringe areas or areas where there's a lot of 3G>4G switching.

Having had both the Razr and the GNex (still have the GNex), there's no way I could objectively say the GNex reception was in the same league as the Razr. It just isn't. :(

Upvote 0
Yes, but waiting on Best Buy...... I hope Tuesday, but they are as clueless on when as I am.

With just my small time with the Sprint model, the device is sweet, but weak radio reception will make it sour.... Yes, cheesy analogy.

Some have reported good results, but equal or more have the opposite. Looking forward to contributing :)

Upvote 0
The only way to fix it is by replacing the SIM? Yes, I'm an idiot and did the *228. Came back here because I couldn't get 4g anymore. Only to find out that *228 messes up your SIM card.

yes its the only way.
go to any verizon store (not raidio shack and stuff like that) and they will replace your sim for free
Sorry you did not read this before you did it
Thank You and sorry for your inconvenience!!!!!!

But on a side note did it make it better?
Give us your before and after readings if not give us your now (bad sim reading) and after verizon replaces it.

Upvote 0
As you boys requested earlier: my wife's RAZR MAXX vs. treb1797's S3.

Weather conditions: not a cloud in the sky
1st testing place: my home office
RAZR MAXX: 3 bars ( -97 dBm )
S3: : 3 bars ( - 102 dBm )

2nd testing place: My bedroom, sorry honey our bedroom :rolleyes:
RAZR MAXX: 5 bars ( -86 dBm )
S3: : 5 bars ( -82 dBm )

Both phones network connected to Verizon 4G LTE

So very impressive I would say for the S3. I was very happy w/ the fact that the bedroom was at a full 5 bars which only happened very very regularly w/ my DROID Charge.

So you boys feeling better yet?

Rushmore ( & all you other fine people on this forum ) here is the second part of this test you asked me to perform, you know the one where you said do this test w/ both devices in a " not so good " signal area. We went out to dinner at a restaurant that we frequent quite regularly. W/ my DROID Charge I would always be so annoyed b/c it would do the whole 1x one minute, then switch to 3G for a few minutes, and then for like 5 to 10 seconds go to 4G LTE & then the whole process would start over this while having 1 to 2 bars. My wife would be over there w/ her RAZR RAXX just Facebooking away w/ 2 bars & 3G the whole time. So I figured this would be a great place to test the S3 & since this is the first time I've left the house all weekend you get what you get.

Weather Conditions : Same as before, not a cloud in the sky.
RAZR MAXX: 2 bars w/ 3G in the notification bar, however when I went into the settings where the signal readout is it said 1x ( - 95dBm ) & also at the same time a readout of 3G ( -103dbm )

S3: 2 bars of 3G with a reading of ( -93 dBm ) It did not give the 1x reading as well like the RAZR MAXX did.

I would look at both devices about every 4 to 5 minutes to make sure they weren't changing from a bar & signal standpoint & both stayed at 3G & 2 bars the whole time. So all & all again not bad. A plus for me was that I was actually able to use my phone ( S3 ) there tonight as w/ my DROID Charge in the past it was impossible to do anything on it when it was bouncing all over the place like it did when we went there in the past.

So Rushmore I hope this is what you were looking for & don't need anything else b/c now I have to go warm up a left over 12oz. NY Strip b/c I spent the whole time at dinner looking at my phone for you.

Upvote 0
Rushmore ( & all you other fine people on this forum ) here is the second part of this test you asked me to perform, you know the one where you said do this test w/ both devices in a " not so good " signal area. We went out to dinner at a restaurant that we frequent quite regularly. W/ my DROID Charge I would always be so annoyed b/c it would do the whole 1x one minute, then switch to 3G for a few minutes, and then for like 5 to 10 seconds go to 4G LTE & then the whole process would start over this while having 1 to 2 bars. My wife would be over there w/ her RAZR RAXX just Facebooking away w/ 2 bars & 3G the whole time. So I figured this would be a great place to test the S3 & since this is the first time I've left the house all weekend you get what you get.

RAZR MAXX: 2 bars w/ 3G in the notification bar, however when I went into the settings where the signal readout is it said 1x ( - 95dBm ) & also at the same time a readout of 3G ( -103dbm )

S3: 2 bars of 3G with a reading of ( -93 dBm ) It did not give the 1x reading as well like the RAZR MAXX did.

I would look at both devices about every 4 to 5 minutes to make sure they weren't changing from a bar & signal standpoint & both stayed at 3G & 2 bars the whole time. So all & all again not bad. A plus for me was that I was actually able to use my phone ( S3 ) there tonight as w/ my DROID Charge in the past it was impossible to do anything on it when it was bouncing all over the place like it did when we went there in the past.

So Rushmore I hope this is what you were looking for & don't need anything else b/c now I have to go warm up a left over 12oz. NY Strip b/c I spent the whole time at dinner looking at my phone for you.

But I'm sure that won't be good enough because it seems that everyone who posts good results the "naysayers" seem to not believe ha. Thanks everyone whose posted results.

Reactions: rushmore
Upvote 0
But I'm sure that won't be good enough because it seems that everyone who posts good results the "naysayers" seem to not believe ha. Thanks everyone whose posted results.

I think because they don't want to make a $200 mistake. And don't forget...there are many who say they get great reception on their GNex. We know that device definitely has issues.

Upvote 0

That's the most encouraging post I've seen so far, thanks. I'd like to see someone with a GNex under the same conditions. The Charge was an absolute nightmare for me in terms of internet connectivity in weaker areas.

Upvote 0
Ok, for those that are reporting your phone's signal level, are you actually having reception issues, or are you just saying "my dB is -100 so it must be bad"?

Mine has been pretty good. Currently showing -71 dB at my house. This is right on par with what my DX would show (I'm still in 3G only land.)

Tomorrow will be my first taste of 4G when I'm at work, so I'll check speeds, signal strength, etc.

Upvote 0
I think because they don't want to make a $200 mistake. And don't forget...there are many who say they get great reception on their GNex. We know that device definitely has issues.

I am usually very lucky about receiving non defective products. I remember I had the signal issue with a brand new Galaxy Nexus. What makes it worse was that at the time when I complained Verizon told me that it was an issue with their service. That they were supposedly resetting their system to comply with 4g service. I returned the device for other reasons (Its phone volume was way too low, that I could sleep through phone calls). Low and behold several months later I see people continue to have these issues.

I also believe only the most ocd of tech fans (like me) will actually notice the issue. I use my phone a lot.....and thus I can see these issues. For other people its just a phone. I become one with my phone, it becomes part of my normal routine and a participant in most of my work tasks.

I guess the main fear is that the phones will have an issue which makes it not fully usable, and the carrier/manufacturer will not fix the phone, ever.

Upvote 0
Ok, for those that are reporting your phone's signal level, are you actually having reception issues, or are you just saying "my dB is -100 so it must be bad"?

Mine has been pretty good. Currently showing -71 dB at my house. This is right on par with what my DX would show (I'm still in 3G only land.)

Tomorrow will be my first taste of 4G when I'm at work, so I'll check speeds, signal strength, etc.

I did it to help some friends out b/c Best Buy sucks :secruity: & doesn't know when they will get their S3's.

You know who you are. ;)

Upvote 0

but the phone has already been ordered. It does not matter if every other person who has the phone has good reception if it doesnt work for you doesnt matter if for me it gets better reception since its you using the phone. That's why i do not understand why everyone is freaking out. Wait until you get the phone and if it doesnt work return it. We all have the same 14 days to return it:D

Upvote 0
So far im disappointed. Im in fringe area and my dx stayed around one bar 3g but would work, voice calls always worked. S3 is showing 0-2bars 3g but has no internet connectivity. Can't browse internet or play store or anything, browser pops up the white page that says www.whateveryourlookingfor.com is unavailable at this time. Play store just times out. Gmail will sometimes load, mostly not.

Headed to verizon right now to get sim card switched and see if that helps.

This sounds like my story when I went from my DX to the Nexus. Had hoped Samsung had enough sense to fix the radio in the S3.

Upvote 0

I think through all the "bad #'s" there was only 1 or two people with issues that did not allow the phone to work as a phone. Everyone else is just saying mine is reading more so it sucks yet are having no issues. At least that's what I have gathered from many posts on here along with androidcentral. It also appears that those in a fringe area are SOL with any samsung phone. It seems like you have limited options if you are in a fringe area because moto is about the only one that can keep a signal in fringe areas.

Upvote 0
I find it weird how there seems to be such a variance especially people coming from similar phones to the sgs3. I think this really shows how much where you are plays a role in it because you have some people getting the same signal( in 3g areas) and then you have others getting worse. Wish we could get a definitive answer to if it has to do with verizons lte or what because samsung phones never used to be that bad on 3g only.

Upvote 0
I think through all the "bad #'s" there was only 1 or two people with issues that did not allow the phone to work as a phone. Everyone else is just saying mine is reading more so it sucks yet are having no issues. At least that's what I have gathered from many posts on here along with androidcentral. ...

This is what I am reading into a lot of these posts too. I know there are those that have legitimate reception issues, but it gets muddied by those that assume poor reception based on their signal number even if the phone works just fine.

I was very skeptical about the S3 after my previous experience with a Samsung smartphone, but so far so good for me. I live in an overlap zone where my DX would bounce between 2 or 3 different towers for no apparent reason and would actually jump between 3G and 1X at times. The S3 has done that a few times as well, but has never had zero signal. So far I haven't had a dropped call either which was my major concern from the previous experience.

I can deal with data being a little flaky, but voice has to work and so far so good.

Upvote 0
The trebster's word is good by me :)

I think your going to be o.k. regarding the signal issue ( or lack there of ). If we had another Gnex on our hands we would know it by now. You & SamMax need to worry about that other little problem your having. You know...when in the heck is Best Buy going to get you boys this fine piece of technology.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones