• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Looking to pick up one off contract, best play to buy?

Fahrenheit85

Jul 25, 2010
So my girlfriend wants a new phone. We are on a family share and have a grand fathered unlimited data plan. I don't want to lose that so the whole buying your phone at full prize work around still valid right? Any places online recommend to pick it up? Also Verizon will let me have insurance right?

I just bought a galaxy S3 off of swappa.com. I would highly recommend the site, and I feel like you are much less likely to run into a problem then using something like ebay or craigslist.

And yes, you can keep the unlimited data as long as you're buying the phone off contract, at least you could as of 2 weeks ago when I did it. I'm not sure about getting insurance through verizon, but you can definitely purchase device insurance on your own, even for a used phone, with square trade and other companies.

Upvote 0
I just bought a galaxy S3 off of swappa.com. I would highly recommend the site, and I feel like you are much less likely to run into a problem then using something like ebay or craigslist.

And yes, you can keep the unlimited data as long as you're buying the phone off contract, at least you could as of 2 weeks ago when I did it. I'm not sure about getting insurance through verizon, but you can definitely purchase device insurance on your own, even for a used phone, with square trade and other companies.

Thanks but I'm looking for new.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones