• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] One click root?

T-Keith

Android Enthusiast
May 1, 2010
Is there a "one click" style root yet? I know the nexus is supposed to be easier to root, but my old Eris just took an app from the market and 5 minutes. It even installed a custom recovery busybox and more.

Is there anything out there for the nexus yet? I did unlock the bootloader, but that took forever and most of the how tos are for windows

Is there a "one click" style root yet? I know the nexus is supposed to be easier to root, but my old Eris just took an app from the market and 5 minutes. It even installed a custom recovery busybox and more.

Is there anything out there for the nexus yet? I did unlock the bootloader, but that took forever and most of the how tos are for windows

No one-click root yet for the GNex and/or ICS...

For the Galaxy Nexus, there probably won't be much research into finding a root exploit since gaining root is relatively simple.

Personally, I think unlocking your bootloader, softbooting or flashing ClockworkMod, and then flashing the su.zip root package is the easiest and most straightforward method.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Upvote 0
No one-click root yet for the GNex and/or ICS...

For the Galaxy Nexus, there probably won't be much research into finding a root exploit since gaining root is relatively simple.

Personally, I think unlocking your bootloader, softbooting or flashing ClockworkMod, and then flashing the su.zip root package is the easiest and most straightforward method.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Kidding right? How is that more straight forward than a one click root that does all this in one step? I know the elitism from the Linux world, since I've run Linux for years. I thought the Android community was different.

Upvote 0
Kidding right? How is that more straight forward than a one click root that does all this in one step? I know the elitism from the Linux world, since I've run Linux for years. I thought the Android community was different.

I meant that rooting via CWM through flashing the su.zip root package was the most straightforward method vs. the others (and its gets you a two-fer: a custom recovery installed (if you flash it) and root).

I wasn't comparing that or any of the GNex methods to a one-click rooter...I can see now why you thought that--apologies.

Upvote 0

It's not.

However, one-click root methods are usually born out of the need to simplify complicated root procedures. The Galaxy nexus has a very simple and straightforward unlock and rooting procedure, so you may not see any one-clicks for a while.

But honestly, I know literally nothing about linux, and am super shaky using command prompt. I followed instructions for the superboot method, simply download a pack of files, extract them to the root of your hdd, install drivers, copy 6 lines and boom, unlocked and rooted.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys. I am not new to Linux or Android and I didn't find the process easy at all. It wouldn't be so bad, but it required searching for solutions and editing config files. One of the greatest things about Android IMO, is it doesn't require a computer to do things. Why could I root, install a custom recovery and flash ROMs on my Eris, but not on the "best" most root friendly device made? Even my Incredible, which did require installing things, took minutes, just install one program and run. Heck even my touchpad was easier.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys. I am not new to Linux or Android and I didn't find the process easy at all. It wouldn't be so bad, but it required searching for solutions and editing config files. One of the greatest things about Android IMO, is it doesn't require a computer to do things. Why could I root, install a custom recovery and flash ROMs on my Eris, but not on the "best" most root friendly device made? Even my Incredible, which did require installing things, took minutes, just install one program and run. Heck even my touchpad was easier.

Yeah, sorry for my first reply to you before...I certainly didn't give much separation between the two points I was trying to make.

I was really just trying to say that the root exploiters won't be working that hard for this device to find an Ice Cream Sandwich root exploit since there's a mildly circuitous route to gain root for the GNex.

Surely there's a few that are hard at work in anticipation of an exploit that will work on the plethora of devices that will soon be running ICS.

The second point about the easiest way to root the GNex was indirectly related to the first in that the CWM root method wasn't too bad, but I certainly do recognize that its not in the same league as a one-click solution.

I do remember you from the Eris forums...do you remember the earliest root methods that required using your PC (for adb shell flash_image commands analogous to the fastboot flash commands) for installing a custom recovery?

There was no true root exploit available for months (we were using a leaked, pre-rooted engineering ROM) before wag3slav3 figured-out the mid.txt symlink root exploit and before eu1 and jcase came out with their on-phone rooting methods. There are now at least 4 or 5 different methods for achieving on the Eris (we were worried for months that a true exploit would never be revealed).

So it might just take some time before this is possible for the GNex.

Cheers and have a great rest of your evening :).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones