1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] [POLL] Which way do you prefer to root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by teddyearp, Aug 15, 2012.

?

Your favorite and best way to root the VZW GNEX

1. WUGS NexusRootToolkit 1.5.2

50.0%
  2. GalaxyNexusToolkit 7.8

20.0%
  3. Manual all the way

20.0%
  4. Bacon

10.0%
  1. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

So I am late to the VZW Gnex owners' crowd and have a lot to catch up on. I rooted my A855 the manual way and always tried to get others to do the same instead of using various 'one click' methods.

However, the folks that have put together the 'one click' methods for the VZW gnex have put alot more work into their projects, i.e. flashing a custom recovery, the command to retain said custom recovery, installing busybox, etc.

So let's see if I can get this poll to work.

Which is the best 'one click' method, Wugs "nexusRootToolkit" or the "GalaxyNexusToolkit"?

Or bacon? Or manual?

TIA

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I'm a big fan of manual especially if you already have the sdk set up and are familiar with it. This phone does have some great toolkits though, not meaning to lessen their contribution. And also bacon was tempting. :smokingsomb:

teddyearp likes this.
  3. gunit34328

gunit34328 Newbie

manual. i tried the toolkit method one time and i got stuck on a step and didnt know how to fix it. i found an easy root method that didnt require adb and went with that one.

teddyearp likes this.
  4. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Android Enthusiast

This is a request to change my vote to "bacon" on the grounds of deliciousness.

teddyearp likes this.
  5. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

GalaxyNexusToolkit 7.8 is great for the beginner, the lazy and the simplicity. :thumbup:

teddyearp likes this.
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

If I knew how or could I would change your vote. I started this poll before I actually had this device in my hands, now I do, so my next poll, 'how soon did you root' will be multiple choice and include bacon as well for the funnyliciousness that it can provide.

I appreciate all the votes and hope this poll is kept alive for a bit at least; ultimately it seems the hardest part is getting the right combination of drivers, adb version, etc to make sure you will have a more harmonious outcome. My research has found this to be true across all the interworld. I fought with drivers at first just to get my WinXP box to 'see' my gnex as storage. Then it was a fight to get a "adb devices" command to complete with success.

So even though I will probably use one of the 'one clicks' to actually do the job, I did do allot of it manually by having to do some tweaking to get all the drivers, etc. in line.

7. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

For what it's worth I did root last night. I used Wug's to unlock, root and flash CWR touch 5.8.x.x.

However, I did not include a 'hybrid' choice in my poll, since that is pretty much how I did it.

I got all the drivers setup manually, updated my adb and fastboot manually since on my machine it is located in c:\android. Then I manually did an 'internal storage' dump. Then as above I used wug's as stated. Manually restored 'internal storage' and went on about my business.

Therefore, I voted bacon.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews