• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [POLL] Which way do you prefer to root?

Your favorite and best way to root the VZW GNEX

• Total voters

teddyearp

Android Expert
May 19, 2010
Pinetop, AZ
So I am late to the VZW Gnex owners' crowd and have a lot to catch up on. I rooted my A855 the manual way and always tried to get others to do the same instead of using various 'one click' methods.

However, the folks that have put together the 'one click' methods for the VZW gnex have put alot more work into their projects, i.e. flashing a custom recovery, the command to retain said custom recovery, installing busybox, etc.

So let's see if I can get this poll to work.

Which is the best 'one click' method, Wugs "nexusRootToolkit" or the "GalaxyNexusToolkit"?

Or bacon? Or manual?

TIA

This is a request to change my vote to "bacon" on the grounds of deliciousness.

If I knew how or could I would change your vote. I started this poll before I actually had this device in my hands, now I do, so my next poll, 'how soon did you root' will be multiple choice and include bacon as well for the funnyliciousness that it can provide.

I appreciate all the votes and hope this poll is kept alive for a bit at least; ultimately it seems the hardest part is getting the right combination of drivers, adb version, etc to make sure you will have a more harmonious outcome. My research has found this to be true across all the interworld. I fought with drivers at first just to get my WinXP box to 'see' my gnex as storage. Then it was a fight to get a "adb devices" command to complete with success.

So even though I will probably use one of the 'one clicks' to actually do the job, I did do allot of it manually by having to do some tweaking to get all the drivers, etc. in line.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth I did root last night. I used Wug's to unlock, root and flash CWR touch 5.8.x.x.

However, I did not include a 'hybrid' choice in my poll, since that is pretty much how I did it.

I got all the drivers setup manually, updated my adb and fastboot manually since on my machine it is located in c:\android. Then I manually did an 'internal storage' dump. Then as above I used wug's as stated. Manually restored 'internal storage' and went on about my business.

Therefore, I voted bacon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones