• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon prepaid vs Total by Verizon?

G

godlovingman

What's the difference between prepaid Verizon and Total by Verizon? I'm thinking about staying with Verizon but go from postpaid to prepaid instead I don't need to spend almost $100 a month anymore for cell service.

Total is a now part of verizon. they are a cell phone provider. their coverage may or may not be the same as verizon. not sure how they have the network setup or which is better. it will depend on where you live and the coverage offered. Total is not just prepaid.
I can get the phone I want through total cheaper I found a used one that's supposed to be unlocked but it was with T mobile so I didn't know if it'd work with Verizon or straight talk.

Upvote 0
Don't use Straight Talk. They don't like people who don't use the latest and greatest. The only way I revived my old phone was with Verizon Prepaid. Straight Talk outright booted it off their service.

With Verizon Prepaid I only pay $35 a month, use whatever the hell I want, and don't need a data plan (privacy). Total Wireless I thought was T-Mobile but maybe our stock hasn't refreshed, since we still got LG Rebel 3's collecting dust over here.

T-Mobile would be an option if you're lucky enough to live where they exist. Owensboro is a dead zone outside the Walmart parking lot so it's a no-go for me. Sad as they still had Edge service and that meant I could still use a neat slider phone (Samsung Galaxy S Relay) in 2023 if I had service here.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Don't use Straight Talk. They don't like people who don't use the latest and greatest. The only way I revived my old phone was with Verizon Prepaid. Straight Talk outright booted it off their service.

With Verizon Prepaid I only pay $35 a month, use whatever the hell I want, and don't need a data plan (privacy). Total Wireless I thought was T-Mobile but maybe our stock hasn't refreshed, since we still got LG Rebel 3's collecting dust over here.

T-Mobile would be an option if you're lucky enough to live where they exist. Owensboro is a dead zone outside the Walmart parking lot so it's a no-go for me. Sad as they still had Edge service and that meant I could still use a neat slider phone (Samsung Galaxy S Relay) in 2023 if I had service here.
Total is owned by Verizon now they don't call it total wireless anymore it total by Verizon. I'm trying to decide between regular Verizon prepaid and Total by Verizon. The phone I'm thinking about getting is cheaper from total by Verizon they're having a big sale according to regular Verizon prepaid.

Upvote 0
If you want their offerings and not BYOP I suppose you'll be fine with them. They're still selling Total Wireless here at Dollar General but our town is always out of date (though that adds to the charm!)

Avoid Straight Talk like the plague. Their support sucks, their website sucks, and they force people to upgrade phones after a few years.

Upvote 0
If you want their offerings and not BYOP I suppose you'll be fine with them. They're still selling Total Wireless here at Dollar General but our town is always out of date (though that adds to the charm!)

Avoid Straight Talk like the plague. Their support sucks, their website sucks, and they force people to upgrade phones after a few years.
https://www.totalbyverizon.com/
This total by Verizon site I'm thinking about getting a Samsung A53 5g so I'll have phone that I won't need to upgrade for at least 2-3 years.

Upvote 0
The coverage should be the same on both. The Verizon plan has discounts monthly after 3 months ($5) and another after 9 ($10) plus $10 for auto refill, Total's auto refill is $5 (both based on the lowest plans).
It's just a matter of deciding how much data you need and doing the math. Besides, you can switch anytime you want so you're not stuck. If you buy the phone from either there is a 60 day lock period for both but that's it,

Upvote 0
Samsung's A series are bottom barrel phones. They might have things like headphone jacks but they're not meant to last over 2 years sadly. The times when phones could be kept long-term died with removable batteries.

I stopped trying to keep up with the names of prepaid these days. I still find myself referring to Verizon's prepaid as 'FreeUp' and a refill as a 'ReUp'. Just be thankful I'm not calling them GTE Wireless.

Upvote 0
Samsung's A series are bottom barrel phones. They might have things like headphone jacks but they're not meant to last over 2 years sadly. The times when phones could be kept long-term died with removable batteries.

I stopped trying to keep up with the names of prepaid these days. I still find myself referring to Verizon's prepaid as 'FreeUp' and a refill as a 'ReUp'. Just be thankful I'm not calling them GTE Wireless.
The A model phones have to be better than my old ass pos s6

Upvote 0
The coverage should be the same on both. The Verizon plan has discounts monthly after 3 months ($5) and another after 9 ($10) plus $10 for auto refill, Total's auto refill is $5 (both based on the lowest plans).
It's just a matter of deciding how much data you need and doing the math. Besides, you can switch anytime you want so you're not stuck. If you buy the phone from either there is a 60 day lock period for both but that's it,
I shouldn't need much data since I have home wifi now do you think regular prepaid or total by verizon be better option? Total said they have $30 with unlimited calls and texts and 5gb of high speed data and $40 plan same but with 15gb of data.

Upvote 0
That's entirely up to you. You can change plans any time you want and carriers after 60 days if you bought a network branded phone. If you end up with a carrier unlocked phone there's no waiting period to switch carriers. No harm no foul. Personally, I'd go with the cheapest option and change if needed down the road.

Upvote 0
That's entirely up to you. You can change plans any time you want and carriers after 60 days if you bought a network branded phone. If you end up with a carrier unlocked phone there's no waiting period to switch carriers. No harm no foul. Personally, I'd go with the cheapest option and change if needed down the road.
So phone would be carrier unlocked after 60 days?

Upvote 0
If you buy a phone from Total or Verizon it will unlock after 60 days, yes. I'm guessing they could go between either plan you're looking at because they're both Verizon but I'm not sure about that. If you buy an unlocked phone you're all set.
Huge caveat though - not all phones play nice on all networks, especially when Verizon is involved. Plus bloatware.

Upvote 0
If you buy a phone from Total or Verizon it will unlock after 60 days, yes. I'm guessing they could go between either plan you're looking at because they're both Verizon but I'm not sure about that. If you buy an unlocked phone you're all set.
Huge caveat though - not all phones play nice on all networks, especially when Verizon is involved. Plus bloatware.
I'm thinking about getting is an Samsung A53 5g total has for $200 regular prepaid Verizon wants full retail price of $450 that's a main reason was looking at total by Verizon.

Upvote 0
FYI you can still find many retro Samsungs on Amazon/Ebay if you one day tire of the 'modern' life and want to go back, as I did. Eventually I got burned out by all the feature removals and the interaction with the software getting more and more confusing (I hate gesture navigation entirely. They want to make button-less phones the 'future' and I've had arthritis since I was 21 and it's gotten worse.)

Upvote 0
FYI you can still find many retro Samsungs on Amazon/Ebay if you one day tire of the 'modern' life and want to go back, as I did. Eventually I got burned out by all the feature removals and the interaction with the software getting more and more confusing (I hate gesture navigation entirely. They want to make button-less phones the 'future' and I've had arthritis since I was 21 and it's gotten worse.)
Thank you for your time and trying to help but no disrespect but I'm going to the phone I want which is newer device. I'm glad you like and seem to prefer older phone's but I don't I want a newer device I know almost any phone is better than the 6 I have now but I still want a newer device whether it be an a series phone or not. Like I said thanks for trying to help I really do appreciate the time and effort.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones