• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Root? 7/7/12 Update - YES!

Actually, there is a great reason for preferring to update via OTA.

You don't lose any data!

If I root now, then an update comes out and then there's an ODIN version released with the new upgrade+root, won't I lose all my apps and settings and have to restore via titanium, then redo all my settings, contact ringtones, etc.?

but you will STILL have to flash the rooted ODIN file over your OTA lol...

i really think you're not getting this lol

Upvote 0
but you will STILL have to flash the rooted ODIN file over your OTA lol...

i really think you're not getting this lol
Yes, I get that.

We were just going back and forth about how getting the update from ODIN isn't any worse than getting an OTA. That's not true if an ODIN update forces a factory reset (is that even the case?).

Since there's currently no one-click root that would allow me to root "on the fly", yes, getting an update via an OTA isn't really an option if I want to keep root anyhow.

Just saying that it would be nice if such a way existed, then, in theory, I could return my phone to near stock (except for having root), accept the OTA, then one click root and I'm back in business immediately.

Upvote 0
Why does this say "updated 08/06/2012" when it is barely into July?:D
Because we Americans use the least logical format of month/day/year but that date is in a slightly more logical format of day/month/year that the rest of the world uses. The most logical format would be year/month/day to follow the numerical convention of largest unit to smallest unit.

Upvote 0
Because we Americans use the least logical format of month/day/year but that date is in a slightly more logical format of day/month/year that the rest of the world uses. The most logical format would be year/month/day to follow the numerical convention of largest unit to smallest unit.

I figured that to probably be the case, but the thing is, the date on the post itself says July 12th, 2012, in the standard US format. :) So the post is sort of a "mixed metaphor".

My preferred method of date format would be, for today, 2012_0713. I started using it because it sorts correctly in file paths like in Windows Explorer.

Upvote 0
All I need/want is to be able to do free wireless tether, adfree, . I don't care about custom roms. Is there something out there at this point for the S3 that I can use to accomplish this? Is all I need is a simple root?

Please forgive my ignorance.

Download elixir 2 widgets, create a hotspot widget, boom. Use it on my unrooted Galaxy S3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones