• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon S3 OTA Update Wish List

If you use the volume rocker to mute the phone before entering the camera there will be no shutter sound

Yea, I know, I drop the volume, I could switch it to vibrate in the pull down menu, etc., etc.,but I'd rather have the option to disable it entirely and not have to worry about silencing the phone every time I want to take a picture without everyone around hearing it. I can't understand why this option was excluded when other S3s (and all other phones with cameras I've ever had) have it. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Does that icon show up on the stock keyboard or a 3rd party keyboard? I have that too and I thought it was Just Swiftkey. It really bothered me at first but I have trained myself to just ignore it. Are they just making it easier for people to switch input methods? Kinda annoying.

This must be another "feature" of ICS. I use Swiftkey and started noticing it on my DX running CM9 and now with both the stock and Swiftkey KBs on my S3.

Upvote 0
make the back speaker louder

when dialing out with headphones plugged in, the voice call sound should play in headphones instead of switching to the phone. Then when I hang up, the sound should be switched back to headphones instead of the back speaker, I can't believe this hasn't been fixed by now.

Upvote 0
1. Fix the keyboard screen flicker
2. Fix the notification so when you have headphones in it only plyays through the headphones, not the phone speaker.
3. Remove the keyboard customize option from the notification bar every time you are typing.
4. Wifi toggle widget in place of the notification.

Those are all realistic. We al know vzw isn't going to unlock the bootloade.

Biggest pet peeve!

Upvote 0
Go back & read the original post. This isn't about an specific OTA, but a wish list of things we would like changed w/ an OTA.

Yes, I know that, but there was talk about an OTA to nerf the phones a bit, like the other carriers got, and this was the first thread I found that mentioned an OTA so I thought I'd bump it.

No biggee.

Justin

Upvote 0
A big issue I would like fixed is the LED notification colors.

1. Unlocked bootloader
2. Wifi nag line removed from notifications bar
3. Wifi toggle in with the rest of the toggles; WHERE IT BELONGS!

4. Ability to create shortcuts on the home screen like I used to with my Droid Incredible. I want to make shortcuts to files and folders on my SD card without 3rd party software. I would also like to make shortcuts to settings like the ones I list in #6. (Using Linda manager for now)
5. Capacitive home button. (Well, since we're all dreaming anyway)
6. Ability to customize the notification toggles to add and remove stuff. I don't need Screen Rotation, Power Saving, Airplane mode, Driving Mode up there. But I might like to have toggles for NFC, S Beam, Wi-fi Direct, File Sharing up there. Can I get an Amen to that one?

These.

I think the only "wishlist" we should have on our phone is that Samsung and Verizon can push out Jelly Bean to the Galaxy S3 before the year ends. To have Jelly Bean on our phones in 3-4 months would be a very welcomed addition. It would be a step forward in Android fragmentation. I would easily give my phone back for a month or so if they would have launched with Jelly Bean.

Two to three months would be even better, but you know Verizon...IMO it shouldn't even take that long.

Put a Wifi toggle on the notification bar, or at least provide a toggle widget that works. Stop the phone from lighting up when a text message comes in.

This.

AMEN brother work4crown to #3!!! And on the first OTA update Verizon shall up rise up & move the Wi-Fi toggle for all to see & use as it was once before!! That was my southern preacher voice, not bad huh?

What the ****.

Also removed unnecessary spaces. You're welcome.

1) Wifi toggle in the power toggle section of the notification pane like every other S3 asside from vzw version
2) Option to eliminate annoying wifi pop-up reminder

3) Where the "additional apps" so I can download the samsung photo editor, flipbook, etc? It seems there's a samsung apps application where you can download these additional applications on the other versions but not the vzw one. Maybe I missed something but I'm surprised I haven't read more people complaining that this is missing as a few of those additional apps as supposed to be pretty nice (like the photo editor). Ok, so if you go to samsungapps.com you can download the Samsung app store and can get the photo and video editor for free from there.
4) Better battery life is always a bonus. I'm lucky if I get from 6AM to midnight and still have 20% battery left. I'm in a good coverage area blanketed with 4G.
5) Some stock non-crappy ringtones and notification tones. I know I can download some but seriously why sell a phone without a ringtone that even resembles a phone. I really didn't want to have to spend time searching, downloading, and transferring a normal sounding ringtone to a PHONE.
6) enable fm radio

These. Would definitely love something to improve the battery life. It's always either Cell Standby or Android System using all of my battery during standby.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones