• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon S3 Update Announced

Why not just re-root after the update and restore the original voice search apk? Heck, you could even install the vastly superior Google Now Voice Search.

Download and Install Latest Google Now Voice Search APK on Rooted Galaxy S3 | Root Galaxy S3

Because we don't know if the update will block the root exploit...So it's always a good idea not to allow the update until we know if the current rooting method still works.

I've seen the Google Now stuff, but since it's not completely functional, I haven't installed it. Plus if you install that you have to kill the search you have, I'd rather not screw with that.

Upvote 0
Because we don't know if the update will block the root exploit...So it's always a good idea not to allow the update until we know if the current rooting method still works.

I've seen the Google Now stuff, but since it's not completely functional, I haven't installed it. Plus if you install that you have to kill the search you have, I'd rather not screw with that.

The .621 update on the Droid X prevented rooting...unless of course you used something like Root Keeper to restore root after the update.

Upvote 0
But it wasn't too long before someone figured out a new way to root it

Yea, but not with a stock image. If you want a stock verizon experience but with root, your SOL. If you backed up your root prior to taking .621, then you're in luck. Plus, even if you flash the Milestone X image, it's a lot more complicated than the 1-click method we used to do from windows..which you must now do from linux. Plus there's a lot more risk to bricking your dx than before.

Upvote 0
Yea, but not with a stock image. If you want a stock verizon experience but with root, your SOL. If you backed up your root prior to taking .621, then you're in luck. Plus, even if you flash the Milestone X image, it's a lot more complicated than the 1-click method we used to do from windows..which you must now do from linux. Plus there's a lot more risk to bricking your dx than before.

dang , i didnt know the X had those issues , ever since froyo i switched to custom roms i think the last room i had was Liberty 3. I dont feel the urge to root my S3 because afer disabling all the bloat it runs pretty good but i still hope they unlock it so i can put a custom rom on it eventually :D

Upvote 0

That would be why i don't remember it being that complicated. As soon as second int was released I was running an ics rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones