• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon to charge $30 upgrade fee

I don't know about your Verizon store but the one I go to is usually pretty empty, I almost think the employees welcome some time-waster shopping.

mine is usually really packed.. atleast 15-20 people everytime i go there

i have had sprint, at&t, friends with t-mobile and boost... they all suck around here. central ohio. have had verizon for atleast 13-15 years i think. well wife has had it while i tried the others. so i dont mind being on contract.

but i do agree the people that work there are for the most part idiots.

Upvote 0
The one here where I live is usually packed for some reason, the thing that ticks me off is they always have someone right by the door that asks your name and number to put in there computer. I went in one day just to look for a case I liked so I could order it off Amazon for one tenth the price and tried to walk on passed the door person without giving the requested info and they actually reached out and almost grabbed my arm to stop me from walking on in the store.
All I can say is the manager made sure that employe had a understanding by the time I got done talking to them. :)

Upvote 0
I heard authorized retailer's wont be charging the fee.

The printout says,

When you purchase from and indirect Integrated system, (I take this to mean authorized reseller) The upgrade fee is automatically charged to the customers next monthly bill.

So, it's true the reseller won't be charging the fee, but that doesn't mean you won't be paying it.

What..... you don't think Verizon has thought this through? Didn't you know that Verizon's attorney is "Loophole Louie?" :D

The $30 fee amounts to just slightly over .04 cents per day on a 2 year contract.

Upvote 0
It's $0.04 (dollars) per day, not 0.04 cents.

You must work for VZW customer service. (If you don't get the reference, you must be new to the internet ;))

You are correct, sir. When I divided $30 by 730 days, my calculater gave me .0416666666 and I mistakenly typed into my post "slightly over .04 cents" instead of 4 cents.

No, I do not and never have worked for Verizon. I've never worked in the Wireless business ever. I do however own a smartphone.

But why is it that just because I tried to break down the $30 fee into a cost per day on a 2 year contract and posted an incorrect answer, you figure I MUST work for Verizon. (and I get the reference to VZW customer service people are all incompetent)

Oh, and I'm extremely happy to learn you've never made a mistake.

Upvote 0
It used to be a free every two. then it was $100 price break for re-signing into a two year contract, then $50...now we pay $30 for a phone upgrade.

Does "V for venal" really need that extra bit of our blood? Check out their profit statement.

It seems that one possible way to protest would be a large number of Verizon customers going back to old non-data, "feature phones" for a couple of months. The loss of the $30 per month data revenue might be noticed. I'd be willing to do it, if enough others would also do it. How many people doing that would it get to have Verizon notice? It would have to be a lot. Verizon has tons of money, they might not even care.

Revenue ≠ Profit. A key quote from the article is missing from your quote as well, specifically the following: "Overall, though, VZW finished the quarter with a net loss of $2.02 billion, compared to the $2.64 billion profit it saw last year." (emphasis added)

Upvote 0
For those who missed the joke (including dirkbonn, apparently ;)).

Verizon Math Fail - YouTube

Ok, hilmar2k, I have to admit I must have missed the joke. However, I do see it now. I loved the youtube vid btw.

I just have one request, (well there will be more that I have but just one for now. :)) and that request is that we keep this friendly. Which you have been doing, so this is not a complaint. Anyway, I enjoy reading all the posts, and we're here for the same reason, to learn.

Best of luck to you and yours,

Upvote 0
My family discussed this last night and our kids will no longer be getting new phones or renewing contracts. Since we dont want them to have data plans they will just be using phones off of craiglist or ebay. As for those of us with smartphones we will be waiting longer as it adds another $90 onto the purchase price for 3 smartphones. That is just not always going to be feasible. But most people will pay it and if they dont get enough income in from that they will just add another fee or increase monthly services.

Upvote 0
My family discussed this last night and our kids will no longer be getting new phones or renewing contracts. Since we dont want them to have data plans they will just be using phones off of craiglist or ebay. As for those of us with smartphones we will be waiting longer as it adds another $90 onto the purchase price for 3 smartphones. That is just not always going to be feasible. But most people will pay it and if they dont get enough income in from that they will just add another fee or increase monthly services.

One good benefit of not using contract upgrades is being able to cancel service whenever you need too.

Personally I don't have a problem with the added $30 on my upgrades I have 2 lines with upgrade dates roughly a year apart so. It isn't as dramatic of a change for me as it is for you. With the dumb phone lines I can see why you wouldn't want to pay the extra.

Upvote 0
Ok, hilmar2k, I have to admit I must have missed the joke. However, I do see it now. I loved the youtube vid btw.

I just have one request, (well there will be more that I have but just one for now. :)) and that request is that we keep this friendly. Which you have been doing, so this is not a complaint. Anyway, I enjoy reading all the posts, and we're here for the same reason, to learn.

Best of luck to you and yours,

Hey, you're the one that got a little froggy when you thought I was making fun of you (which I wasn't).

It's all in good fun over here. ;)

Reactions: dirkbonn
Upvote 0
i dont use any of the "services" offered, ie backing up, wireless workshops, setting up email/voicemail etc. i'm smart enough to do that on my own so i'm essentially paying for nothing. good thing i like my TB enough to keep it for awhile! (though i'm not eligible to upgrade til Nov) thx for the info though. good to know!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones