• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Wifes S4 won't do anything now. It's going back. Can't find how to delete post.

Stein1071

Feb 18, 2012
Update: Completely dead now. Only vibrates once when trying to turn on. It's going in.

A few days ago the wife's S4 started randomly locking up. Couldn't power off. No restart. Nothing. Upon pulling the battery and trying to restart it would get to the white Verizon screen and lock up and overheat. Up near the mem card and SIM card it was getting so hot that I was afraid it would catch on fire. Now, it has progressed to the point that it doesn't even get to the Verizon screen. It just comes up with "SAMSUNG", "CUSTOM", and an unlocked padlock symbol, vibrates once then shuts off. It may cycle through this a couple of times but it doesn't do it every time.

I would just turn it in on insurance as we had to pay for it upfront when we got this phone but I'm afraid that they're going to ding me for the "CUSTOM" and unlocked padlock.

I can get to the download screen on startup but NOT recovery. It's like the phone has completely lost it's firmware.

I rooted it a little over a year ago when we first got it due to bloat and locking up (not the same way though) with a "one-click method". The trouble is that it has been so long ago that I don't remember the method and the laptop that I had all the software on has since died. I'd like to just unroot it and turn in an insurance claim but with the way it's acting (not able to get to recovery mode) and not knowing the method I used.... It was rooted but with the stock ROM. Only unlocked so I could remove the Verizon/Google bloat and free up memory.

What do I do? Can I get away with turning it in "as-is"?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Edit: I should say that I'm not just looking to file a claim and get a new phone but I'm afraid that if I just reflash the phone and it does work, it won't work for long as the problem I'm having seems to be inherent on the S4. With it acting the way it is right now, I don't even know that I can recover it but I'm willing to try.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones