• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Wishful thinking??? Galaxy S4 I545 MK2

Roota2The2ta

May 22, 2014
Okay i rooted my lg optimus elite with help from a thread by giantpune,i didn't have to have a PC AT ALL!! Unfortunately, there's no such method to root my S4 without installing the drivers from a PC. Ive come to terms with that. :( But My stubborn ass wants to get around that since I don't have a PC available and i REALLY REALLY want to root this magnificent phone. My question, my sounding ignorant aside, is can I install KIES on a tablet and then to my phone from tablet if i have a usb cable that permits me to do so?? Rather than using Pc?? I'm wishful thinking aint I??

what baseband do you have ? would be something like this . I545VRUFNC5

the last 3 letters/numbers are important if you want to flash a custom rom . NC5 has a locked bootloader and can only be flashed with safestrap. most others can be flashed with Odin. Also, what ver of android ? 4.3, 4.4.2 ?

here are a few links for the Chaos rom

Chaos ROM + KTweaker Kernel for Verizon Galaxy S4! | GalaxyS4Root.com

[ROM] ChaosROM-VZW-V7-NCx-4.4.2-SS-MDK-MULTI… | Verizon Galaxy S4 | XDA Forum

If you have NC5, be sure and get safestrap 3.72, it is the Only one that will let you flash onto a NC5 device, otherwise you will end up with a brick.

Upvote 0
Towelroot is the safest way to root a nc5 device, and will not brick it . As for custom roms, nc5 devices have a locked bootloader, at least for now. So custom roms are very hard to install without bricking your phone . there are a few roms that will work though. The Chaos rom is a good stable rom, and fairly easy to install and has alot of nice features. Hopefully soon the AT&T and Verizon based nc5 devices will be able to have the bootloader unlocked. until then we are limited on roms, but plenty of other mods are available :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones