• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Zygot 3 Vs Androidrevolution

euphoriq

Dec 8, 2011
Being my frist android phone, I was curious about rooting so I got on it and went with what seemed the most popular ROM, Androidrevolution HD.

Since doing this my ram jumped from 260-290 to 35-380 which I am pleased about but I have now seen this Zygot3 ROM and it seems to be the most popular on rootzwiki.

Can somebody explain to me which is better? And also how do I do this "Wipe" to change roms (does it delete my music? Because I just spend 2 hours uploading it after rooting)

Thanks!

Being my frist android phone, I was curious about rooting so I got on it and went with what seemed the most popular ROM, Androidrevolution HD.

Since doing this my ram jumped from 260-290 to 35-380 which I am pleased about but I have now seen this Zygot3 ROM and it seems to be the most popular on rootzwiki.

Can somebody explain to me which is better? And also how do I do this "Wipe" to change roms (does it delete my music? Because I just spend 2 hours uploading it after rooting)

Thanks!

Congrats on your first Android!

I don't "watch my RAM" I just install something and if I like it and it works then okay :)

You have to figure out which is better for YOU. We can't answer that, as much as I'd like to. It's good to know from others what their experince is with a rom/kernel combo, but the only true way to test the waters is try it yourself. With CWM and the ability to backup and restore system images it's really only a drop in the bucket.

Wiping will not delete your music. Everyone has their own methods, but this is what I've done for the past 2 years to wipe a phone and flash a new ROM:

dnld rom of choice and put it on your phone
reboot into cwm (through rom manager if you so please)
backup your phone!!
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
go to "mounts and storage" and format system
go back
go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache
flash new rom (and gapps before a reboot if instructed! this is "rom dependent")
reboot and set your phone up :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! Glad to see I won't lose everything when switching roms.

Do you by any chance have any personal experience with either? I just want the smoothest experience.

Zygote is the only ROM I haven't tried yet. ARHD (revolution) is an excellent ROM, probably the smoothest (not fastest) ROM I've had the pleasure of using. It is also extremely stable with good battery life.

I've been following zygote, and while I'm not crazy about some of the tweaks he's put into the rom, its user base are very pleased. I've flashed many of the developers past ROM's for other phones... they've always been solid/good.

Upvote 0
I've gone back and forth between both ARHD and Zygot3 and both have their ups and downs. Zygot3 is definitely faster. There's no lag when you open up the camera app from the lockscreen, and screen rotations are noticeably quicker. However, I've found ARHD to be smoother and battery life is definitely better. It feels more like what the phone should have shipped with. Zygot3, on the other hand, definitely feels like a 3rd party ROM with it's myriad small tweaks to the UI. I've also had several force closes on Zygot3 that I never experienced on ARHD, though it's possible that it could be attributed to it being a 4.03 ROM. At the rate zygot3 is being updated, all of the kinks could be ironed out fairly quickly.

Edit: I flashed Zygot3 1.9 and it's incredibly smooth. I'm probably going to stick with this one for a while.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I've been going back and forth between them as well. Currently running Zygot3 v1.8. The dev has said that v1.9 will be dropping at midnight tonight and should have a good performance boost and more battery saving. As jbdan said just backup what you are running and then give them a shot. Both have their strengths and their weaknesses.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones