• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help very long charge times

dorlow

Android Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2014
Lately, I don't know what's different. But I plug in my phone before going to bed. Example last night around 10 pm. This morning, I'm awake around 4:30 am. The phone had 6.5 hours to charge. The phone has only charged to 70%. If I were to leave it plugged in all day, I will get a full charge. Just takes forever.

I've read some forums saying that maybe my charger isn't powerful enough... I've swapped between 3 different chargers between 3 different android devices for a year now. This problem just started about a week ago. No hardware has changed.

Actually, there has been a small change. In the last few weeks, I bought a fitbit bracelet that works on Bluetooth to the phone. I also been using an alarm app that works with sleep cycles and monitors my movements all night... Don't know if that would be causing slow charging...

Lately, I don't know what's different. But I plug in my phone before going to bed. Example last night around 10 pm. This morning, I'm awake around 4:30 am. The phone had 6.5 hours to charge. The phone has only charged to 70%. If I were to leave it plugged in all day, I will get a full charge. Just takes forever.

I've read some forums saying that maybe my charger isn't powerful enough... I've swapped between 3 different chargers between 3 different android devices for a year now. This problem just started about a week ago. No hardware has changed.

The stock charger is a 1.2 amp charger. Any UL listed charger that can provide at least 1 amp should be able to charger the phone.

One thing that you may want to try, though, is another USB cable. Perhaps there is an issue with the cable that you are using.

Actually, there has been a small change. In the last few weeks, I bought a fitbit bracelet that works on Bluetooth to the phone. I also been using an alarm app that works with sleep cycles and monitors my movements all night... Don't know if that would be causing slow charging...

Well, it could, if the phone is heavily draining the battery because of these apps, then it could slow how fast the charge is regenerated. I tend to doubt that the Fitbit is the issue - that's supposed to use Bluetooth LE (low energy).

But, there's any easy way to check - make sure that the charger is at least 1 amp (1.2 amp or more is better) and use a different micro USB cable. If that doesn't change anything tonight, then uninstall the alarm app tomorrow and see if that changes how fast the phone charges tomorrow night. If that changes nothing, then disable the Fitbit the next day. Again, I doubt it is caused by the Fitbit, so I bet you'll notice a change by then, but it won't hurt to try. If changing the charger cable and disabling both apps changes nothing, then it's on to the next step (which, I think, is to factory reset the phone and see if the phone charges normally then, but that requires some time to set everything up again from scratch.)

Good luck, and report back if you figure out the problem...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones