• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Very noobie to rooting.

OK I have done the Hboot thing and downloaded unrevoked3 but am a little scared to carry on as it says to uninstall HTC sync. I can't find out any where HOW to uninstall it only disable it. I have a Desire with 2.2 and need very laymans terms please.

I really need to do this to stop the message "Low on storage".

Thanks.

Also how do I know if the first step has worked?

What OS are you running?

On Vista-
Control Panel
Uninstall/change programme
find HTC Sync and uninstall

Don't uninstall the HTC drivers. These were installed along with HTC Sync but you need them in the root process. HTC Sync conflicts with UnRevoked that's why you need to uninstall that.

Upvote 0
Should be the same on Windows 7.

Have you installed HTC Sync previously? I think unrevoked warns you about it just to be safe even if you haven't installed it.

If you've not installed it you need to install it from the HTC website (should pop up on google if you search for HTC Sync), just select the version that says it's for all android phones and follow the instruction.

Once it's installed, go through the uninstall instructions, but remember not to delete the HTC Drivers.

Upvote 0
@simplepondlife

Welcome to Androidforums.com, we are glad you are here

Just want to remind everyone to please utilize everything that AndroidForums has to offer for the best user experience here.

We have subforums in place that range from talking about Rooting (Desire - All Things Root) to Support and Troubleshooting where you can post all of the issues for your Desire and get help. If you want to discuss about various Accessories, there

Reactions: simplepondlife
Upvote 0
Sorry for putting it in the wrong place. Ok well I think it has worked and now do I just reboot system or is there more to it?

Hi,

Please can you read the rooting FAQ (available by following the red link in my sig) then you can use the unrevoked rooting guide from the same link.

Together these tell you everything you need to know and step by step instructions to root with unrevoked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones