• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video editor for android????

So who thinks this is due to 'fragmentation on the Android market' we always hear about? Apple, Nokia, even dumbphones have this functionality, is it unreasonable to expect Google to provide some sort of basic functionality in Android regardless of device vendors and 3rd party software? I love my phone, I'm not switching anytime soon, but this sort of thing does make it harder to recommend Android to someone shopping for a phone. It is a big hole in functionality for me.

Upvote 0
No rose it cant. It only trims the beginning and end of a video, but im hoping that its the start of something better. There is another app called snip video trimmer thats also only .99$ and does the same thing. I prefer vidtrim because it allows you to rename the edited video and runs smother on my nexus. These are the only video editing tools on the market that ive found thus far so i purchased them hoping to throw support the developers way and see where it goes.

Upvote 0
No rose it cant. It only trims the beginning and end of a video, but im hoping that its the start of something better. There is another app called snip video trimmer thats also only .99$ and does the same thing. I prefer vidtrim because it allows you to rename the edited video and runs smother on my nexus. These are the only video editing tools on the market that ive found thus far so i purchased them hoping to throw support the developers way and see where it goes.

If I find my Nexus, I'll try the app out :) I'm still *argh* that there's no good video editor out on the market :/ nor that Google is doing anything to improve their video recording app on Android.

Upvote 0
snip video trimmer doesn't have a free version.

can anyone tell me the difference or discern which one might be better?

for the record, iphone's imovie is like, light years ahead of these two... hopefully Android will step up the game with these. what needs to happen is like, whoever makes the professional video editing software versions needs to make a lite version for the phone. something simple and easy to use, elegant.

unfortunately, all i can think of is imovie and final cut, both apple products. you gotta admit, apple makes those apps well.

Upvote 0
video editing is a very processor intense task. Do the editing on a desktop computer (or at least a laptop), not a phone!

My old Symbian S60 Nokia N95 was quite capable of editing 640x480 30fps video. It could do trimming, joining, effects, wipes, titles etc. Nothing fancy but certainly good enough for Youtube, directly uploaded from the phone.

The Nokia N95 was a much more modest phone than any of the current crop of high perfomance Evos, Droids, Galaxy Ss etc, which do not have this ability....hmmmmm. :thinking:

Upvote 0
*argh* was trying to find this thread when I read the blog article saying that 2.4 will have some kind of movie editor or something, lol.

It seems that Google has finally decided to have a movie editor in Anroid 3.0: Google Demos Movie Studio On XOOM at MWC [VIDEO] | Android Phone Fans
I'm hoping that this feature gets ported to Android 2.4 for the mobile phone :)

Upvote 0
My company's recently launched video editing app may also be of interest to you - and it runs on Android 2.2.

Android market link:
https://market.android.com/details?id=net.forscene.KestrelTest&feature=search_result

Simple editing on Android tablets (though some people are starting to try it on their phones as we release upgrades in this direction). Advanced editing features on PC / Mac / Linux through a browser. It's a Cloud* app, so all your data is available to you on all your devices.

* You need WiFi (or 3G) connection to use it on the Android tablet.

Upvote 0
There might be a Youtube Video editor.

See article: YouTube Cloud based editor to become Androids iMovie | OMG Android
R1.jpg
R1.jpg

R1.jpg

I googled a lot to find video editor but in most places people say there is no video editor for nexus one

@sbstreater does it work? Can you tell me

Upvote 0
@itrader - we've tested it mostly on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but there don't seem to be many things to sort out for mobile phones - and we're working our way through those with regular updates.

We started with the objective of making the PC / Mac / Linux / Android versions as similar as possible, so that you can move easily between them. The drag and drop interface makes this relatively simple. But the smartphone screen is that bit smaller, so we're improving the interface features on the Android version to make it easier to use on smaller screens.

You could wait a bit for it to be officially launched on smartphones. Or you could be the first to test it on a nexus one, and get your suggestions incorporated (and bugs fixed!) ;-)

The pro version has had over 1,000,000 hours of professionally shot content through it, so something works :) I've put a couple of example videos up on clesh.com, where you can also get a free subscription for the Java app.

Upvote 0
@itrader - We passed 100 users a couple of weeks back, and have now had enough time to make smartphone specific improvements to the GUI. Android devices are quite varied, so it takes some work to verify that advanced software actually works on all devices.

I can report that according to the Google stats, the Nexus 1 is one of our top installed Android devices, and no one has complained that it doesn't work on this phone.

Devices which have so far been positively identified as working are: the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the HTC Desire, the Motorola Atrix, the Motorola Droid Incredible, the Dell Streak, the Adventa Vega (only just, as it restricts memory available to apps, so it may need more memory optimisation), the Nexus S (with a remaining bug in the more advanced timeline mode), a keyboard HTC (it recognises the keyboard successfully) - and of course desktop computers running Java.

One of the users with an HTC myTouch 4G (with a relatively small 3.5" screen) said it would be better on a bigger screen - but storyboard mode has big icons, so this should still be quite usable.

Top devices with our software installed are currently (in order): HTC Evo 4G, Motorola Droid X, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire, Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC myTouch 4G, Motorola Atrix, HTC Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy Tab (alternative model).

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones