• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Video Tut] How to Root the Wildfire S (GSM) and install CWM Recovery

This tutorial is for what model of Wildfire S? Video tutorials are notorious for bricking people's phones because they often lack clear information. Just saying "for Wildfire S" isn't clear enough because there are 4 different versions that don't have interchangeable recoveries or ROMs.

There is only one wildfire s listed in htc dev bro... please tell me what models... I thought this is common as htcdev listed only one

Upvote 0
Every different PG76XXXX in the list at htcdev.com is a different model, some GSM and some CDMA and the RUUs aren't always interchangeable. GSM and CDMA also use different CWM recoveries. If a CDMA owner flashes GSM stuff or vice versa it will soft brick the device. And since noobs gravitate toward video tutorials, they are just the kind of people to run into trouble and not know how to unbrick the phone.

Also, for the CDMA phones, it's much easier to root by gaining s-off than unlocking the bootloader.

Upvote 0
Every different PG76XXXX in the list at htcdev.com is a different model, some GSM and some CDMA and the RUUs aren't always interchangeable. GSM and CDMA also use different CWM recoveries. If a CDMA owner flashes GSM stuff or vice versa it will soft brick the device. And since noobs gravitate toward video tutorials, they are just the kind of people to run into trouble and not know how to unbrick the phone.

Also, for the CDMA phones, it's much easier to root by gaining s-off than unlocking the bootloader.

Oh this is a GSM Phone (Sim Card Model) So Shall I add GSM Only in the header or are there more details... sorry bro... I usually am very careful and do video tuts for devices that I own... this time made this for my friend thought Id help out others too... have 30 odd tuts with no issues so far... dont want to mess up the good rep :(

Upvote 0
The important thing is that they match their phone model (ie, PG76XXXX) as found under the battery with the RUU they try to install. The good news is that the RUU usually won't install if it's the wrong one.

CWM Recovery is a different matter. There are only two choices, Marvel/GSM and MarvelC/CDMA. Flashing the wrong one can soft brick the phone. So definitely mention it in the thread title that this is for GSM.

Upvote 0
The important thing is that they match their phone model (ie, PG76XXXX) as found under the battery with the RUU they try to install. The good news is that the RUU usually won't install if it's the wrong one.

CWM Recovery is a different matter. There are only two choices, Marvel/GSM and MarvelC/CDMA. Flashing the wrong one can soft brick the phone. So definitely mention it in the thread title that this is for GSM.

Added GSM to the title... to unlock bootloader, its the same for all models... Thanks Bro!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones