• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Videos on television

With the LG G3 videos, I can not seem to play the videos on my TV if I transfer the file to a USB thumb drive, which I do with other videos not taken with this phone. On the computer, I need to use VLC to watch it, where Windows Media Center can't not play this type (codec?) of mp4.

Does the video file need to be converted in order to watch a video on the television? If so, can someone explain how and with what software.

Thanks!

Mine is set to UHD
UHD is Ultra HD, aka 4K video. You can only play those MP4 files on PC with VLC media player. And even then it will be scaled down to the resolution of your monitor.

There are only two (as far as I know) stand alone hardware 4k players, Sony and Samsung.

If you want to play your UND (4k) videos on your UHD (4k) TV (if you have one) you need to buy SlimPort adapter for G3 and play videos from your phone.

My SlimPort adapter should arrive tomorrow and I will go to Costco and try to play UHD videos from my G3 on one of those UHD TVs in the store (if they allow it of course).

Reactions: KOLIO and adkstorm
Upvote 0
Is there a way to convert the file so it can be played on the TV via thumb drive? .....mp4 format (tv doesn't support mkv)
adkstorm,

I have good news for you.

I just tested and it worked. The software is Xvid4PSP. It is free. I use it for a long time myself. I just tested latest beta that can open UHD MP4 files and convert to whatever you need.

Go here XviD4PSP 5.10.330 / 7.0.87 Beta and download latest beta version 7.0.87.
Here is direct link http://www.videohelp.com/download/XviD4PSP-7.0.87-Win32.zip

It doesn't require any installation, just run EXE file.

Another option, like I said in my previous post, is to buy Slimport adapter. I just received one today, tested it with my HDTV playing from the phone, and it worked fine. Here is adapter I bought:
Amazon.com: Yosenn Slimport to HDMI Adapter for Google Nexus 4/LG optimus G pro/Fujistu Arrows Tab/Asus padfone infinity: Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones