• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vigor vs Amaze 4G (vs Nexus)

Alkajak

Lurker
Oct 23, 2011
Vigor:
720p screen
Sense 3.5

Amaze:
Amazing camera quality and software.

Nexus:
ICS.

As for the cons, it would be that Vigor is not even announced, and living in Canada, I'm still waiting for the Amaze to be released next week. Who knows how long until the Vigor is released. The Amaze, on the other hand, seems like it's a little bit behind ICS. And the Nexus has no SD slot which is a complete turnoff for me. Going the iPhone way was a mistake. The Nexus also doesn't have Sense, so I don't know how I feel. At least it isn't Touchwiz.

I've heard stuff about 'Cloud' which I don't know what it is, and that's the only reason people are still going with the Nexus. And as for the Vigor, apparently it will be a Verizon exclusive and I'm not sure if it will reach the T-Mobile/AT&T bands that we have in Canada. Also, I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the Thunderbolt, which is expected to happen again with this phone as well.

Any help between the phones would be great.

Vigor:
720p screen
Sense 3.5

Amaze:
Amazing camera quality and software.

Nexus:
ICS.

As for the cons, it would be that Vigor is not even announced, and living in Canada, I'm still waiting for the Amaze to be released next week. Who knows how long until the Vigor is released. The Amaze, on the other hand, seems like it's a little bit behind ICS. And the Nexus has no SD slot which is a complete turnoff for me. Going the iPhone way was a mistake. The Nexus also doesn't have Sense, so I don't know how I feel. At least it isn't Touchwiz.

I've heard stuff about 'Cloud' which I don't know what it is, and that's the only reason people are still going with the Nexus. And as for the Vigor, apparently it will be a Verizon exclusive and I'm not sure if it will reach the T-Mobile/AT&T bands that we have in Canada. Also, I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the Thunderbolt, which is expected to happen again with this phone as well.

Any help between the phones would be great.

I read a review on the Amaze 4G on Engadget that wasn't too flattering.
HTC Amaze 4G review -- Engadget

The Cloud stuff is basically online storage. It's similar to when you have online email, they give you so many MB or GB of storage online for your messages. Basically it's the same thing as that. The main pro is that it's accessible from anywhere and any device, assuming there's internet access. The main con is that you're using data to download from, upload to, or stream from the online storage. With tiered data that can add up quick.

Yes the Vigor/Rezound is a Verizon exclusive, but it is quite similar to the Sensation 4G and Sensation XE which are both GSM. Will it be another Thunderbolt? Everyone seems to think so. I think they have learned their lesson from that launch or they will be doomed for the future. Plus that phone was rushed to market and was the first LTE smatphone on Verizon, so there are going to be issues with brand new tech.

Upvote 0
No interest in the Razr? I know a lot of people that don't like that the phone is a Motorola. I say it's worth considering against those you posted with its specs.

What it all comes down to is how you rank rootability, built in manufacturer skin (HTC Sense, Motoblur, etc etc), hardware (I think for the most part they're all dual cores right?), and then of course the one spec I'm most concerned about which is battery life.

Upvote 0
I found the Engadget review to be uninformative and biased, tbh. I've read like 10 other amazing reviews for the phone. Even websites like BGR, who are iPhone fanboys are rooting for this phone, no pun intended.

I've personally never used an Android phone before, so I'm not sure to what extents "Rooting" can go.

Also, this upgrade is going to be my only phone for the next two years. I absolutely can't change the phone, so I don't want to waste it on "giving a phone a chance", that's my only problem.

The Nexus seems like it isn't all that bad for a 16GB phone with this whole Cloud feature, but you would definitely need to have a wifi connection handy to store your stuff there. I don't think it's worth the headache.

The Vigor has a predetermined fate, apparently.

Any other suggestions? I will keep the Razr in mind, but I'm not sure how amazing it will turn up to be. Are there any other HTC phones making their way to the market within the next 2-3 weeks?

Upvote 0
I found the Engadget review to be uninformative and biased, tbh. I've read like 10 other amazing reviews for the phone. Even websites like BGR, who are iPhone fanboys are rooting for this phone, no pun intended.

I've personally never used an Android phone before, so I'm not sure to what extents "Rooting" can go.

Also, this upgrade is going to be my only phone for the next two years. I absolutely can't change the phone, so I don't want to waste it on "giving a phone a chance", that's my only problem.

The Nexus seems like it isn't all that bad for a 16GB phone with this whole Cloud feature, but you would definitely need to have a wifi connection handy to store your stuff there. I don't think it's worth the headache.

The Vigor has a predetermined fate, apparently.

Any other suggestions? I will keep the Razr in mind, but I'm not sure how amazing it will turn up to be. Are there any other HTC phones making their way to the market within the next 2-3 weeks?

Just read this:
http://androidforums.com/htc-amaze-4g/429805-htc-amaze-what-you-havent-read-reviews.html

Upvote 0
Are there any high-end Android phones that DON'T suffer from major battery problems? The Vigor is coming with a standard battery too, and the resolution is even higher. The Nexus has that really awesome screen, but I haven't read enough about it to make an assumption of how battery consumption will be.

Also the heat issue also happens with something as crappy as my Blackberry, I'm used to it by now.

@Dex, do you suggest staying away from the Amaze for a better alternative?

Upvote 0
Are there any high-end Android phones that DON'T suffer from major battery problems?

Negative ghost rider....

Many people like to blame the poor battery on 4G, but I've used my thunderbolt exclusively on 3G and it still has the same battery issues. I think maybe once or twice the phone has gone a whole day (10 hours not 24 hours) without needing a charge.

It's not a bad phone at all, the Android system is rather opened when compared to the iPhone's operating system and that's where you run into your issues and your benefits. It's pretty much the same when comparing Apple's computer O/S to Windows. Windows has a bunch of hiccups because it has to be opened to more vendors and sometimes it does things that drive you up the wall. The same goes for Android. It does things that leave the iPhone in the dust but in doing some of those things it experiences some hiccups along the way. A good example is flash based websites, which both drain power more and will on occasion hiccup the system. I'm not at the stage where I'm willing to give up my 4G, Flash capabilities, or relatively opened O/S for the iPhone. When iPhone comes out with a 4G device then I'll definitely have to consider my opitons more thoroughly.

Upvote 0
Negative ghost rider....

Many people like to blame the poor battery on 4G, but I've used my thunderbolt exclusively on 3G and it still has the same battery issues. I think maybe once or twice the phone has gone a whole day (10 hours not 24 hours) without needing a charge.

It's not a bad phone at all, the Android system is rather opened when compared to the iPhone's operating system and that's where you run into your issues and your benefits. It's pretty much the same when comparing Apple's computer O/S to Windows. Windows has a bunch of hiccups because it has to be opened to more vendors and sometimes it does things that drive you up the wall. The same goes for Android. It does things that leave the iPhone in the dust but in doing some of those things it experiences some hiccups along the way. A good example is flash based websites, which both drain power more and will on occasion hiccup the system. I'm not at the stage where I'm willing to give up my 4G, Flash capabilities, or relatively opened O/S for the iPhone. When iPhone comes out with a 4G device then I'll definitely have to consider my opitons more thoroughly.

What about the heat problem? I assume it comes with the battery draining.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones