• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Virgin EVO Today - Rooting Clarification

1. The simple root found here: [Program] SimpleRoot .1 ---- 3 Click Root w/ nand unlock!! - xda-developers is a full blown root with nand unlock.

2. Use the above, you should be good. Forget about unrevoked.

3. Go with the link in #1, it wont matter if you take the OTA.

4. The solid ROM builders have incorperated the OTA, but simple root is build to run on the newest OTA, might as well do the OTA.

5. If you use my linked simple root, there is no #22. It is an application that only requires 3 clicks.

6. You should be just fine. I wouldn't go by the link you provided though. Follow the instruction from the developer of whichever ROM you decide on. One that note, there are many good ones, but I've had AMAZING luck with FRESH. It runs beautifully, and he has a few custom kernels you can run as well. He also added his own Fresh Updater app packed in with his ROM.

Best of luck, enjoy the new Evo!!!

If you're familiar with your hero, and adb, I would strongly suggest going with toasts part 1 n 2 of rooting. I never do 1 2 3 click anythings. I prefer to do it myself, and make sure its done correctly. That way you don't have problems in the future

Reactions: verngator
Upvote 0
UGH, I spent most of yesterday on this and had to set it aside.

First I tried SimpleRoot but it didnt' work. So I went to the step by step but kept receiving the "Main version is older" "Update fail" error message at the "skating Androids" screen.

Figured out that the SimpleRoot I was using won't work for my EVO as-is because it came with 1.47.651.1.

So I found a SimpleRoot for 1.47.651.1, read the notes, and discovered that I have an issue with HBOOT (from xda-):

"Note: This process will only work if you already have the engineering HBOOT. (If you have NAND unlocked, you already have it and can proceed confidently.) If you'd like to check the actual version, you can boot into HBOOT and look near the top of the screen: it should say HBOOT-0.76.2000, not 0.79.0000. If you have 0.79.0000, you will need to do Toast's Part 2 first before starting here."

I have the 0.79.000, so I read Toast's Part 2....but I don't think I have to do this with the new SimpleRoot. So I'm going to try that later today as my brain is fried. Hopefully that will work.

Anyone have success with the SimpleRoot for 1.47.651.1 with an unrooted EVO with newer HBOOT? I'm hoping that I will.

This has certainly been more complicated than rooting my Hero!

Upvote 0
you do not need to follow Toast's method and SimpleRoot for 1.47.651.1, just choose one or the other. I personally used SimpleRoot for 1.47.651.1 and it went from stock OTA 1.47.651.1 to an earlier version, I then flashed fresh's newest rom, RA recovery, updated radios and everything including wifi tether and 4g is working great including very good battery life. I did have a few issues on step 4 of simpleroot, but was able to figure out a way to finally get that step to work and have used it twice now without any further problems.

Reactions: verngator
Upvote 0
Yay, got it done -I've flashed DamageControl and everything looks sweet. Gonna donate to SimpleRoot now that everything looks good.

As far as I can tell, the only thing not working is A2SD, and I suspect that it is related to how I am trying to partition the card. On the other hand, I may not bother as the EVO might have enough memory for all the apps I want to install. :).

Thanks again to all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones