• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting And. 8GO and 11

69Rixter

Oct 24, 2014
Central Ohio
Been attempting to root Android 8GO and 11. Tried using KingRoot via comp. KR wouldn't recognize either (?) Tried Magisk but it seemed like there was too many "addons" to apply before rooting(?) So, I want to root these 2 O.S's but guess I need some advice/guidance. Anyone wishing to help? BTW....why so many "warnings" about rooting?
[BLU C5L w/ 8GO edition] [Vortex v22 w/ And. 11]

(y)Rick

I'm not familiar with either of these devices, which matters because there are often device-specific elements to rooting.

Forget KingRoot and similar "one click root" tools. Those things stopped working many years ago (around android 6). There are no short cuts any more (though frankly I would never have used those tools anyway - too sketchy for my tastes).

The most important question is whether you can unlock the bootloader? If you can then there's hope, though there will still be further steps. If not then unless there is some device-specific hack it's game over. Note that unlocking the bootloader is nothing to do with unlocking from a particular network - it usually requires enabling "OEM unlocking" from the Developer Options menu in the system settings (which you have to enable by tapping repeatedly on the build number in the software information in your settings) and then installing a program called fastboot on your computer and using that to do the unlock - if you've researched rooting you've probably met the instructions for this.

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
Been attempting to root Android 8GO and 11. Tried using KingRoot via comp. KR wouldn't recognize either (?) Tried Magisk but it seemed like there was too many "addons" to apply before rooting(?) So, I want to root these 2 O.S's but guess I need some advice/guidance. Anyone wishing to help? BTW....why so many "warnings" about rooting?
[BLU C5L w/ 8GO edition] [Vortex v22 w/ And. 11]

(y)Rick
just remember that not everything can be rooted. plus both of those phones do not really have any dev community to support the phones. this means you do not have any custom recovery which is very important when you have a rooted phone. i would not root anything unless it has a custom recovery.

just remember no devs=no fun.

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with either of these devices, which matters because there are often device-specific elements to rooting.

Forget KingRoot and similar "one click root" tools. Those things stopped working many years ago (around android 6). There are no short cuts any more (though frankly I would never have used those tools anyway - too sketchy for my tastes).

The most important question is whether you can unlock the bootloader? If you can then there's hope, though there will still be further steps. If not then unless there is some device-specific hack it's game over. Note that unlocking the bootloader is nothing to do with unlocking from a particular network - it usually requires enabling "OEM unlocking" from the Developer Options menu in the system settings (which you have to enable by tapping repeatedly on the build number in the software information in your settings) and then installing a program called fastboot on your computer and using that to do the unlock - if you've researched rooting you've probably met the instructions for this.
YES, YES, YES....I AM AWARE!!! "if you've researched rooting you've probably met the instructions for this" what do you mean? The O.S's both have "toggles" that indicate "OEM unlocking" Now.......NEXT???

Upvote 0
What I mean is that if you've actually read instructions for rooting with stuff like Magisk you will surely have come across a description of how to unlock the bootloader (unless you've only read the magisk install instructions themselves, which assume that you have done that).

It's years since I did such things, so don't have everything to hand. But basically find and install "fastboot", which is a command line tool (precisely how will depend on what OS you use: I've done this with Linux and MacOS, but it's also available for Windows). Then you boot your phone into fastboot mode ("download mode" on some phones), which is done by rebooting while pressing some combination of buttons (which depends on the phone), though you can probably also use USB debugging to do this. Connect it to your computer via USB, check that the connection is working using the command "fastboot devices", and if that responds with the phone's serial number the command is something like "fastboot oem unlock". This is all from memory, so do check before doing anything, but there should be enough pointers there to find what you need.

Fastboot is also needed for magisk installation (you will see commands like "fastboot flash boot" mentioned).

Two things to note:
1) unlocking the bootloader will wipe the phone, so back up anything important first.
2) Many mods, such as custom ROMs or recoveries, are specific to a particular model of phone. Trying to install such software built for a different model of phone will end badly (for your phone it might actually be the end). So if you want anything like that, make sure it is available for your model before you bother unlocking.

In fact my general advice with this is (1) know why you are rooting, i.e. what you want to be able to change & what might stop working, before you do anything, (2) find all of the tools and software you need before starting the process, and (3) know what you will do if something goes wrong (e.g. can you find the official software for the phone and the tools needed to install that?). I'd usually say that a custom recovery is key: that's the simplest way to flash most mods (fastboot can only overwrite an entire partition, not make changes to little bits within one), and it allows you to back up the ROM and kernel before making changes (and hence allows you to recover if something goes wrong during any of that). But of course if you are trying to mask the fact that you have modified the software so that some media or banking app will still work a custom recovery may complicate that (I've never tried masking it). The key thing is that if you have neither a custom recovery nor a stock firmware package then you are basically screwed if the slightest thing goes wrong, and you should be particularly careful in this case.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
What I mean is that if you've actually read instructions for rooting with stuff like Magisk you will surely have come across a description of how to unlock the bootloader (unless you've only read the magisk install instructions themselves, which assume that you have done that).

It's years since I did such things, so don't have everything to hand. But basically find and install "fastboot", which is a command line tool (precisely how will depend on what OS you use: I've done this with Linux and MacOS, but it's also available for Windows). Then you boot your phone into fastboot mode ("download mode" on some phones), which is done by rebooting while pressing some combination of buttons (which depends on the phone), though you can probably also use USB debugging to do this. Connect it to your computer via USB, check that the connection is working using the command "fastboot devices", and if that responds with the phone's serial number the command is something like "fastboot oem unlock". This is all from memory, so do check before doing anything, but there should be enough pointers there to find what you need.

Fastboot is also needed for magisk installation (you will see commands like "fastboot flash boot" mentioned).

Two things to note:
1) unlocking the bootloader will wipe the phone, so back up anything important first.
2) Many mods, such as custom ROMs or recoveries, are specific to a particular model of phone. Trying to install such software built for a different model of phone will end badly (for your phone it might actually be the end). So if you want anything like that, make sure it is available for your model before you bother unlocking.

In fact my general advice with this is (1) know why you are rooting, i.e. what you want to be able to change & what might stop working, before you do anything, (2) find all of the tools and software you need before starting the process, and (3) know what you will do if something goes wrong (e.g. can you find the official software for the phone and the tools needed to install that?). I'd usually say that a custom recovery is key: that's the simplest way to flash most mods (fastboot can only overwrite an entire partition, not make changes to little bits within one), and it allows you to back up the ROM and kernel before making changes (and hence allows you to recover if something goes wrong during any of that). But of course if you are trying to mask the fact that you have modified the software so that some media or banking app will still work a custom recovery may complicate that (I've never tried masking it). The key thing is that if you have neither a custom recovery nor a stock firmware package then you are basically screwed if the slightest thing goes wrong, and you should be particularly careful in this case.
Yup, agree with just about all that was said. OK, about Magisk....when I went to install it, it seemed, to me, there were just so many add-ons you had to D/l and that turned me off. KingRoot and KingoRoot would not recognize either phone(?) was looking at SDK Tools, but haven't messed with it yet. Would you "suggest" rooting with a program from a computer or just try it on the phone itself? Yes, I do know why I want to root and what I'll root and have already checked on that apps value in coordination with the O.S.

Upvote 0
I would always use a computer. Indeed I'm not sure there are any methods for a semi-modern phone that can be done without one. Magisk is probably the main tool for most phones these days, though I'm no longer following closely. It's complicated because this isn't a simple business, and because the instructions include options for different phones (so once you know which options apply to you it becomes simpler).

SDK Tools is how you will find Fastboot and ADB (Android Debug Bridge, used for USB debugging commands) if you use Windows - on other platforms these are available as standalone binaries (possibly for Windows too, but I don't use that. I have however seen instructions for obtaining these that tell you to install SDK tools for Windows).

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones