• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] making the power button live longer

I am very much missing some of the niceties of the bobzhome/CM ics and jb roms from my good old VM optimus V. which for one thing, had plenty of other hardware buttons that could bring up the lock screen, than just the power button!

first, the bad luck - No Lock will wake up the Victory from sleep, but only if you have screen lock disabled. so, for me, not so useful.

if anyone has found a way/app to keep their lock screen, but also wake up using volume or camera button, that would be awesome to hear about.

I've yet to try some of the apps that claim to wake the phone using proximity and/or g-sensors.

otherwise I will just wait a bit and keep an eye on the good work that people here have been doing with custom roms. would love a good stable CM rom (with all the samsung/spring/VM crap stripped out, even better!)

but then some better luck:

j4velin Notification Toggle - among the many icons it lets you put into the notification tray: reboot, shutdown, and the whole dialog for poweroff/reboot/recovery/bootloader, are there.

also there is airplane mode, which maybe I'm just blind, but I absolutely cannot find where to enable it in the stock gps/wifi/bluetooth/sync/etc. notification buttons - and it seems really dumb if in fact that's not possible. I am sick of having to press the poor abused power button just for airplane mode.

((interesting note - it also has a button for the 4g radio. which I tried just for the fun of it, only to get a system error telling me it was not possible to turn off the 4g radio - not really too surprising. it also has a button simply "data", which seems to turn off, at once, all 2g/3g/4g just fine)

(((the default icons are rather large, though. and the extra icon packs are just as large and they are all quite ugly on top of that. I may have to see if it's easy/possible to make my own much smaller icons...)))

flopcode and cooperations SwitchOff - shuts off the screen same as if you clicked the power button. also nice because your thumb is probably already on the screen and your lazy self does not have to shift your hand to put index finger onto power button.

(notifications toggle does have buttons for "lockscreen" (unintuitive - it actually means "enable/disable lockscreen"), and "lock now" (unsure if it sends you to locked screen or to screen-off - I have yet to test them b/c they require installation of a nonfree app Delayed Lock (also has trial version))

anyway, hi all, and many thanks for all the informative threads so far!

O! and the flashlight!

why does non-CM jb not let one put the flashlight in the stock notification taskbar?! c'mon! bad enough I can't put airplane there, but no flashlight?!

yet another oversized ugly icon added to Notifications Toggle, but well worth it. also, holy crap, the victory external-camera-LED is absolutely blinding as a flashlight - rock!

donated some beer money to j4velin, that dude srsly deserves it.

Upvote 0
You can switch your buttons around very easily, but getting them to perform functions not defined in the kernel is a bit more difficult.

As for the ugly too large icons, they can be modified with NinjaMorph from the Play Store. But every time you flash a new ROM or restore an old backup, you will have to redo any changes made with NinjaMorph. You'll want to look in tw-frameworks-res.apk and frameworks-res.apk for most of the icons you want to change.

Changing what the notification toggle buttons do will require editing the smali and xml files, I don't recommend this unless you are willing to take the time to learn smali. ;)

Here's my test with NinjaMorph, I rotated/resized the restart button in the power menu, and changed it's color (you can use a completely different icon if you like):
Screenshot_2013-06-28-01-59-33_zps34ce2b01.png

Reactions: tarvoke
Upvote 0
huh. smali code looks at first glance, like an unholy child of java and assembler, why am I not surprised ;-) looks easy enough (but you've no idea the depths of my laziness)

the ugly too-large icons I was originally referring to, were the ones in the 3rd party Notifications Toggle app.

(the stock reboot/recovery/etc. dialog is fine with me as-is, the last thing I want to do is a fat-finger on that menu!)

buuuuuuuuuut, now that you put the thought into my head, the toggles on the inbuilt/factory notification are also just as large.

I'm simply better used to the much smaller notification toggles in CM - or maybe that's just all part of Trebuchet. 've been looking at various claimed-jb-compatible versions of it, and other launchers as well - TouchWiz has been crashy lately, although only in very specific circumstances - probably something I froze that it wants.

NinjaMorph looks dangerous - I love it already. thanks and hats off to you, Sailor Jerry.

You can switch your buttons around very easily, but getting them to perform functions not defined in the kernel is a bit more difficult.

As for the ugly too large icons, they can be modified with NinjaMorph from the Play Store. But every time you flash a new ROM or restore an old backup, you will have to redo any changes made with NinjaMorph. You'll want to look in tw-frameworks-res.apk and frameworks-res.apk for most of the icons you want to change.

Changing what the notification toggle buttons do will require editing the smali and xml files, I don't recommend this unless you are willing to take the time to learn smali. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones