• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [SOLVED][MK5][4.3][STOCK] Working Wireless Tether!

I've personally tried every single one but you're more than welcome to try as well.

For me personally, $1.95 is a reasonable one-time price to pay for wireless tethering.
college + diabetes supplies kills all your money :). The only cards at my store are $45 dollar ones too, and well I don't want to spend 45 dollars for a 2 dollar app and then have $43 dollars floating in google space.

Upvote 0
WORKING WIRELESS TETHER!
*Root Required*

Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3 MK5 4.3

Thanks to jdsingle76 ...

Thanks to Fabio Grasso developer of "Wireless Tether Router"! ...

...[/s]​

Great news. I had been holding off upgrading to 4.3 hoping for this fix. I hardly ever use tethering, but it would really suck to need it and not have it. Thanks to TheBritton, jdsingle76, and Fabio Grasso.

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0

Great news. I had been holding off upgrading to 4.3 hoping for this fix. I hardly ever use tethering, but it would really suck to need it and not have it. Thanks to TheBritton, jdsingle76, and Fabio Grasso.

Yes I'm very impressed with the developer. I wish more apps in the market had support this friendly and helpful.

I've tested the app on a variety of devices and no issues yet. So far I've connected a Roku, laptop, desktop, ps3, xbox 360, dish network receiver, and a second galaxy s3 (virgin mobile)

Upvote 0
Not that you couldn't trust him, but Confirmed this working. Best $1.95 I've spent in a while.

*update* not a deal breaker, but to use wifi again after tethering you seem to need to reboot. (may have been stated, i didn't read too clearly since i was excited) ;)

I've only experienced that issue when I didn't turn on Wi-Fi before enabling the tether. For some reason, if you turn on Wi-Fi and then turn on tether you're good to go.

Turn on Wifi, then turn on the tether, your WiFi will turn off. Then when you stop the tether your WiFi will turn back on. No reboots necessary this way.

Upvote 0
I have made sure to turn on wifi (I was connected to home wifi the first time too) and have had this happen each time I then disable the wireless tether. Several attempts each with same results.

Like I said, not a deal breaker. Just reporting what I've found. Tethering works great otherwise.

Okay just making sure you tried that. Yeah I agree, not a deal breaker. Especially considering I was about to downgrade to MG2 to get it working again.

Upvote 0
It's been working good for me, but the only problem I have with is is how much it slows down my phone while my laptop is tethered to it. As soon as I turn off the tether it's back to normal.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have noticed internet speed test results are about half of what they are when not tethering but I'm not complaining ;)

EDIT: It appears it may be fluctuation in 4G speed in general and not related to tether. Even when not tethering speed tests fluctuate greatly. 4G has only been in my area for less than a month which may be the cause.

Upvote 0
I have rooted and installed wifi tether on my VM gs3 but when I tether to my windows laptop or smart tv it says no internet access. Both devices recognize the connection. There must be some setting on the phone which is not right. Any help would be appreciated!

Moved your post to the wireless tethering thread :)

Did you turn on Wi-Fi before enabling tether?

Upvote 0
I have rooted and installed wifi tether on my VM gs3 but when I tether to my windows laptop or smart tv it says no internet access. Both devices recognize the connection. There must be some setting on the phone which is not right. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, you are using this method, right?

WORKING WIRELESS TETHER!
*Root Required*

Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3 MK5 4.3

Thanks to jdsingle76 for helping me along the way. He has put up with endless questions and he has graciously helped me with MK5 to no end. I found this app after tirelessly searching the web for a fix to 4.3 breaking wireless tether. I mentioned it to JD and he immediately began testing it for me and after checking with Fabio they were able to get it working.

Thanks to Fabio Grasso developer of "Wireless Tether Router"! This guy has built a solid app and his customer service is phenomenal! His app reviews are spot on; he responds to emails non-stop and will work with you personally to get the app working on your device. I encourage everyone to support this developer and leave a positive app review for his hard work.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter&hl=en
2. Use these settings:

• Interface: wlan0
  • Method: 3 - HostApd
  • Channel: 1
  • Encryption : WPA2-psk
  • Drivers: nl80211
  • HostApd Patch: UNCHECKED
3. Enable Wifi FIRST before enabling the wireless tether! This ensures the SSID is broadcast.

Reactions: Daves70
Upvote 0
I just came over from Verizon using a thunderbolt with unlimited data. I would use anywhere from 10-70gb of data a month. If I go beyond 2.5 gb a month will my speed be throttled? How much data do you guys usually use?

They say they will start throttling on January 30th but here's a thread already discussing that

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=805649

Reactions: ssethv
Upvote 0
I just came over from Verizon using a thunderbolt with unlimited data. I would use anywhere from 10-70gb of data a month. If I go beyond 2.5 gb a month will my speed be throttled? How much data do you guys usually use?

Hard to say right now. On my old VM phone I would get throttled after 2.5gb. On this phone I've been using more on 4g and getting away with it, but people have been getting texts from VM suggesting this might be changing.

....and this was answered hours ago. I don't know how many times I've answered the last post from page 1 without realizing there was a page 2.

Reactions: ssethv
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones