• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] The new LG Tribute is nearly identical to the Optimus F3

It's a good phone especially for the price but I sure miss root
I won't own a phone without root. It's a personal computer, I paid for it, so I own it. If it's mine I should have admin powers. It is not mine, I won't pay for it.

I buy to own, I don't rent.

As for LG, they can go @#&* themselves, their continued attempts to steal my phone from me by depriving me of root and their choice to lock the bootloader have ensured I won't buy anything else they make from here on out.

Upvote 0
Root master won't work I think its kitkat

It's not kit Kat, It's LG that is the problem as best described by iWindoze... I need a smoke LOL... Jk anyway... Already semi seriously considering scoring a HTC desire 816. At least HTC lists their method for unlocking the boot loader on their web site...

Upvote 0
It's not kit Kat, It's LG that is the problem as best described by iWindoze... I need a smoke LOL... Jk anyway... Already semi seriously considering scoring a HTC desire 816. At least HTC lists their method for unlocking the boot loader on their web site...
I got plenty of smokes lol u need one lg is known for locked bootloaders seems like the lg f3 gots the recovery plus a few ROMs HTC is good just got my chick the HTC desire 510 kitkat she loves lol

Upvote 0
I got plenty of smokes lol u need one lg is known for locked bootloaders seems like the lg f3 gots the recovery plus a few ROMs HTC is good just got my chick the HTC desire 510 kitkat she loves lol

Awesome. Just checked out the 816 the other day at a radio shack. That 5.5 inch screen is great! The stereo speakers are the best I've ever heard from a phone. Sells for $180 right now at Amazon. Still mulling atm but might bite the bullet before the night is over, socal time.

Upvote 0
Awesome. Just checked out the 816 the other day at a radio shack. That 5.5 inch screen is great! The stereo speakers are the best I've ever heard from a phone. Sells for $180 right now at Amazon. Still mulling atm but might bite the bullet before the night is over, socal time.
Don't leave a hole in ya pocket lol yea that's the one my chick wanted but she has a habit whipping phones at me when she gets mad so I got her 510 cus it was 29 bucks at best buy for black Friday I once got a phone off amazon virginsaid the phone wasn't scanned that it couldn't be activated went threw hell ha yea radio shack might b ur best bet

Upvote 0
i'd be more than willing to help get a device tree for cm11 and a caf kernel for the tribute since its so close to the volt in terms of specs. if you guys can figure out root and pull the boot.img and recovery.img for me, that would be amazing and would help the process. other than that, i wonder if we could compile stock kernel source with ramdisk modified to unsecure and flash it with bump through stock recovery.

someone please tell me if this phone has LG Recovery tool (laf.img) when you hold volume up and power from completely off. if it doesnt and we have fastboot, thats even better as we can fastboot boot an unsecured boot.img, but i doubt it has access to fastboot without wiping laf.img.

a note: i dont have this phone, my mom does but i really dont want to mess with hers and mess it up. i have a volt and have done some work that would be easily translated here. if anyone finds a deal again for a tribute for ~30$ lemme know, i would most likely pick one up, has to be brand new though.

also, can we get our own subforum here? that way we arent cluttering up the f3 forums, this phone is quite different than the f3 so it feels counter-intuitive to keep posting here.

Upvote 0

Update (no luck)** Well I am sorry to say but most likely you won't get root to soon. You will get root when another exploit like towelroot is made or when KDZ will be released. You have a locked bootloader, sorry. When trying to flash a modded update.zip there is an error signature verification failed (this is due to the locked bootloader), nothing to do about it, sorry.

Upvote 0
Have u guys try kingroot I rooted an off brand tablet 4.4.2 I tried everything and king root successfully rooted me version 3.5.0

Most of us Tribute owners have tried everything under the sun. Including using adb... LG has really locked this one hard. I'm back to using mine as the daily driver, as my F3 is getting a bit glitchy again.

Upvote 0
Yes this device is locked up well. LG is for sure a tough brand to work around. 90% of their tvs dont even have audio outs. I think they do this stuff on purpose. The sooner a root comes the better. Not crossing my fingers though. I need a root to use my SD card to its fullest.
This phone does have root and even a custom ROM now

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones