• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] unlock menu for VM F3?

ghostgeek

Lurker
Dec 3, 2013
I have a rooted Optimus F3 running the stock ROM on Virgin Mobile. I want to use another SIM (T Mobile network)

I've researched this, but I cannot seem to access the SIM card menu that other sites have said is accessed by typing in 2945#*720# That code does nothing. I can however access the hidden menu via 3845#*720#

Here is what I'm running...

software LS720ZV5

Android 4.1.2

Does anyone know what the code is to access this menu? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Call costumer care at 1-888-322-1122. They might be able to unlock it easily.

No. Already looked into that, per their policy...

"Neither Sprint nor its prepaid affiliates (Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless) currently unlock devices for prepaid customers."

Now I'm sure someone will give me hell for trying to move the phone to another carrier... that I agreed to Virgin's TOS... bla bla bla...

No -I didn't just buy this cheap phone from Virgin with the intention of moving it to another carrier. Both my wife and I have been loyal Virgin Mobile customers for about 4 years now. They used to be decent, but their service (or rather Sprint who they piggy back off of) has turned to a colossal pile of bovine excrement over the last 6 months.

I purchased this phone back in December, and it has a SIM card slot. The only reason to have a removable SIM slot is to move the phone to another carrier, right? So why can't I?

If I can't unlock this phone, then I'll simply pass it off on ebay and move elsewhere, but I'd rather keep this one if possible.

Upvote 0
No. Already looked into that, per their policy...

"Neither Sprint nor its prepaid affiliates (Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless) currently unlock devices for prepaid customers."

Now I'm sure someone will give me hell for trying to move the phone to another carrier... that I agreed to Virgin's TOS... bla bla bla...

No -I didn't just buy this cheap phone from Virgin with the intention of moving it to another carrier. Both my wife and I have been loyal Virgin Mobile customers for about 4 years now. They used to be decent, but their service (or rather Sprint who they piggy back off of) has turned to a colossal pile of bovine excrement over the last 6 months.

I purchased this phone back in December, and it has a SIM card slot. The only reason to have a removable SIM slot is to move the phone to another carrier, right? So why can't I?

If I can't unlock this phone, then I'll simply pass it off on ebay and move elsewhere, but I'd rather keep this one if possible.

It is a CDMA phone. The sim is only for LTE.

Upvote 0
This phone is not GSM compatible antenna which is what T-mobile uses.

"In the U.S., Sprint, Verizon and U.S. Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM."

In other words, you can take an unlocked AT&T phone over to T-Mobile (although its 3G may not work well because the frequency bands are different). You can't take a Verizon phone over to Sprint, because Sprint's network rejects non-Sprint phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones