• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile (USA/non-USA)

agentc13

Daleks Über Alles
Aug 31, 2011
Skaro
Came across this post:
http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile/481788-how-do-i-get-mms-without-data-plan-vm-canada.html

It made me realize that there is not a separate forum (or sub forums) for VM USA / Non-USA. Virgin Mobile in the US is different than VM in the other countries. I know things are handled differently with the stuff in the USA compared to elsewhere as well. Just thought I would bring it up here, because VM in the USA is part of Sprint. I believe it is it's own entity elsewhere.

I guess the difference is that VM USA is not the same company as VM elsewhere (even though they are all called Virgin Mobile :thinking:). Is that the case for T-Mobile. (I am pretty ignorant about specifics in other countries :(). Also, I am not saying that this necessarily means there need to be more forums, but it should be looked at I guess.

Also, I will move the thread then, good call.

Upvote 0
I guess the difference is that VM USA is not the same company as VM elsewhere (even though they are all called Virgin Mobile :thinking:). Is that the case for T-Mobile. (I am pretty ignorant about specifics in other countries :(). Also, I am not saying that this necessarily means there need to be more forums, but it should be looked at I guess.

Also, I will move the thread then, good call.

They are owned by the same company. Virgin Group is based in London which is the parent company to Virgin mobile which operates in Australia, Canada, France, India, Qatar, South Africa, UK, and USA. Virgin Mobile

While not being the same company as in if you move from one country to the next your contract will transfer but they are owned by the same company.

T-mobile is the same IIRC where T-mobile USA and T-mobile UK were both owned by Deutsche Telekom AG. Like EP said there was a merger so T-mobile UK is only 50% owned by Deutsche Telekom AG now. T-mobile operates in 10 European countries as well as the USA, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.

Upvote 0
I guess I was under the impression that Sprint was the one who owned VM USA, and it was not directly under the same umbrella as the other VM's. At least I have seen that said around some of the device forums and probably in the VM forum itself.

I do know that it operates differently than in most other countries since it is also tied to Sprint in some way.

Upvote 0
Ahh you are right, it looks like initially VM USA just leased Sprint towers but was purchased from Virgin Group in 2009 by Sprint. They license the VM name but no longer the same owner as VM companies in other countries.

I should fully research the company I am typing about before I hit submit :D

Upvote 0
Ahh you are right, it looks like initially VM USA just leased Sprint towers but was purchased from Virgin Group in 2009 by Sprint. They license the VM name but no longer the same owner as VM companies in other countries.

I should fully research the company I am typing about before I hit submit :D

Well, I am glad you were wrong and I was right :p. But it can and does lead to confusion eh? ;)

Upvote 0
Just ran across another post with a similar issue.
In uk we also have virgin media providing a bundle consisting of TiVo pvr, broadband 100mb and landline phones.

Virgin media customers get better mobile phone deals than others. We also get different phones to those in the sticky up top.

We either need to add the other VM stuff in the stickies or something to ease the confusion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones