• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Victory Rom [3.0/ I Am Batman]

What would you like to see on this phone?

• Total voters
OK great - I guess these instructions are somewhere else but I couldn't find any, so thanks.
I ended up doing the thing on ics sd binder, guess I should reverse it. phone still works though.
I have a 16G Sd but sounds like a 32 would be better and create about a 15G ext4. I suppose media and other user data would still go to the FAT32 partition.

Upvote 0
OK great - I guess these instructions are somewhere else but I couldn't find any, so thanks.
I ended up doing the thing on ics sd binder, guess I should reverse it. phone still works though.
I have a 16G Sd but sounds like a 32 would be better and create about a 15G ext4. I suppose media and other user data would still go to the FAT32 partition.
Do not use more than 4gb for 2nd ext4 partition. The phone cannot handle that amount of apps. 4gb will be more than you could ever load anyways. Probably around 350 or 400. Still way too much. Most ppl only partition 2gb.
Those directions are posted elsewhere... By me! Lol.

Upvote 0
too late since I already initiated expanding ext4 partition to 6G using gparted, which took about 90 minutes! Ah well as long as I don't load 100 apps I guess it doesn't matter. Looks like ics sd binder created a 2G ext4 partition so should have just left that. Surprising that 2 G is enough since the phone has 4g and hardly holds any apps. I guess the android system uses most of it.

Do not use more than 4gb for 2nd ext4 partition. The phone cannot handle that amount of apps. 4gb will be more than you could ever load anyways. Probably around 350 or 400. Still way too much. Most ppl only partition 2gb.

Upvote 0
PS the ext4 partition has some com. files and also dalvik cache of 40M. I wonder if I should delet all that?

Upvote 0
too late since I already initiated expanding ext4 partition to 6G using gparted, which took about 90 minutes! Ah well as long as I don't load 100 apps I guess it doesn't matter. Looks like ics sd binder created a 2G ext4 partition so should have just left that. Surprising that 2 G is enough since the phone has 4g and hardly holds any apps. I guess the android system uses most of it.
Should have wiped the whole card and started over with one partition. Having three partitions can cause issues.

Upvote 0
Should have wiped the whole card and started over with one partition. Having three partitions can cause issues.
gparted (linux) didn't create another partition. It just enlarged the existing ext4 partition. I thought maybe I should save the files that were on it but probably could have just wiped them. I did wipe the fat32 partition after backing up files, then recreated another with what was left on the SD.

Upvote 0
One thing I notice using link2sd storage info option - the system storage /system is almost full. 158 MB left out of 1.15 G. Could this be the cause of my memory woes (many apps wont install and I get an insufficient memory notice - but other big apps like evernote install fine!?)? How to free up space on the system memory?

Upvote 0
One thing I notice using link2sd storage info option - the system storage /system is almost full. 158 MB left out of 1.15 G. Could this be the cause of my memory woes (many apps wont install and I get an insufficient memory notice - but other big apps like evernote install fine!?)? How to free up space on the system memory?
You don't. That's only for system apps. And link2sd doesn't install apps to SD, it symlinks them. Just open link2sd and choose user apps, go through the list and link them. It moves the files to SD then creates a symlink where it used to be so the phone still thinks its on internal. But in reality its on SD. Make sure you choose link not move.
As for system partition, you're not installing anything on the system partition, so why would it need a lot of free space? Your storage was getting full, that's why it gives you low space warnings.

Upvote 0
You don't. That's only for system apps. And link2sd doesn't install apps to SD, it symlinks them. Just open link2sd and choose user apps, go through the list and link them. It moves the files to SD then creates a symlink where it used to be so the phone still thinks its on internal. But in reality its on SD. Make sure you choose link not move.
As for system partition, you're not installing anything on the system partition, so why would it need a lot of free space? Your storage was getting full, that's why it gives you low space warnings.
Ok good to know I don't have to worry about system storage - does seem to be cutting it close to the bone though but shouldn't be a problem I guess.
For other storage:

internal: used 824M, Free 1.02G
Ext SD used 2.73G, Free 6.25G
2nd partition: 390M, free 5.39G
Yet when I try to install a small app (like da tuner, less than 1M, or another small guitar tuner) it fails saying "insufficient storage available"

Upvote 0
Ok good to know I don't have to worry about system storage - does seem to be cutting it close to the bone though but shouldn't be a problem I guess.
For other storage:

internal: used 824M, Free 1.02G
Ext SD used 2.73G, Free 6.25G
2nd partition: 390M, free 5.39G
Yet when I try to install a small app (like da tuner, less than 1M, or another small guitar tuner) it fails saying "insufficient storage available"
Well that doesn't make sense.? Internal has over a GB free. Have you tried clearing cache and dalvik in recovery, and choose clean up 2nd partition in link2sd. If that doesn't work backup apps in titanium and do a factory reset plus wipe internal (data/media)

Upvote 0
Well that doesn't make sense.? Internal has over a GB free. Have you tried clearing cache and dalvik in recovery, and choose clean up 2nd partition in link2sd. If that doesn't work backup apps in titanium and do a factory reset plus wipe internal (data/media)
that actually worked! It installed Da Tuner.
Still has other annoying problems but that was the main one. It keeps saying "unfortunately gmail has closed" which interujpts whatever I was doing and freezes the phone for a few moments. Also the keyboard often disappears (eg in texting) and I have to reboot to get it back. I may have messed it up when messing with that other extSD data moving app. Eventually probably need to do factory reset to fix it I guess.

so I can do factory reset from the recovery? I don't have to have a stock Rom zip to do that? do I also have to go back to stock recovery first?

Upvote 0
that actually worked! It installed Da Tuner.
Still has other annoying problems but that was the main one. It keeps saying "unfortunately gmail has closed" which interujpts whatever I was doing and freezes the phone for a few moments. Also the keyboard often disappears (eg in texting) and I have to reboot to get it back. I may have messed it up when messing with that other extSD data moving app. Eventually probably need to do factory reset to fix it I guess.

so I can do factory reset from the recovery? I don't have to have a stock Rom zip to do that? do I also have to go back to stock recovery first?
Yes you can do a factory reset in twrp. Remember a factory reset doesn't magically put back all the files you've messed up with root, all it does is wipe user data and user apps. It won't unroot you either. But if you do a factory reset in twrp, also wipe internal storage (data media). A factory reset in custom recovery doesn't wipe internal storage, because some phones don't have SD card slots and if you download a ROM and instr. say to factory reset it would wipe your ROM zip file.
For gmail crashing, go back into settings/apps/all and wipe the cache and data for gmail. Ad long as you didn't try to link it in link2sd. Its a system app, never link system apps.

Upvote 0
Nice, sounds like you got what you set out to do.
Yeah thx for the help. Phone is still acting up in minor annoying ways,lke the keyboard letters disappear regularly when texting (but the alternative symbol keys don't!?) necessitating reboot. I think there's a choice of keyboards eg to swype or not to swype so I will try to change keyboards. And a couple of other annoyances. I guess at least it's OK now, eventually might do a complete factory reset or even return to stock rom and start again with the customization. But it's OK for now.

Upvote 0
Yeah thx for the help. Phone is still acting up in minor annoying ways,lke the keyboard letters disappear regularly when texting (but the alternative symbol keys don't!?) necessitating reboot. I think there's a choice of keyboards eg to swype or not to swype so I will try to change keyboards. And a couple of other annoyances. I guess at least it's OK now, eventually might do a complete factory reset or even return to stock rom and start again with the customization. But it's OK for now.
You can download any keyboard you want. I use google keyboard, but many ppl swear by Swiftkey.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones