• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VMOBI][ROM][KERNEL] Victorious ROM + VaeVictus OC kernel (Updated 7-30-13)

JerryScript

Android Expert
Mar 15, 2011
Las Vegas
MG5 Update - Victorious-0.3.1 8-16-13

You MUST be update to the L300VPAMG5 baseband!

(See this thread for instructions on updating)

What's new? Nothing really, this just gets Victorious in sync with the official MG5 update. All apps have been patched and then deodexed, and the kernel is built from the Samsung source with the same mods as the previous kernels.

If you use scripts or apps that use scripts located in
/system/etc/init.d, other than Victorious's custom mount script, back them up before flashing!

Note- See second post for details on preparing your sdcard for use with a 2nd partition!
Victorious_ROM-500x300_zps6f72ebf9.png

A deodexed and optimized version of the
stock 4.1.2 (goghvmu MG5) update for
the
Galaxy Victory Virgin Mobile (rooted only).

Important - Victorious is currently being released as an update without the complete firmware package, which means you must be on the stock rooted firmware (rom), or Victorious, before flashing Victorious!
Do NOT wipe system or data partitions when flashing!

Update 7-30-13: --Switched to Koush's Superuser --VaeVictus-0.1.5 kernel (OC CPU+GPU)
CPU 384mhz-1.8ghz GPU 200mhz-400mhz
Be sure to thank rbheromax, the OC God! --Fixed VideoPlayer playback
Thanks for the lib files TeachMe! --Replaced bad bootanimation.zip
Safe to use bootanimation2 --Added VPN support (needs testing) --Added native PlayStation Mobile --Updater-script removes bad mount scripts

Update 7-24-13 : -Switched to VaeVictus overclocked kernel,
now you can overclock to 1.8ghz and use any of 10 different governors to control your cpu speed!
HUGE THANKS TO rbheromax FOR HELPING GET THE FREQEUNCY TABLES FIGURED OUT FOR OVERCLOCKING!
-Added support for zip format custom bootanimations,
use root explorer to rename /system/bin/bootanimation to bootanimation.bak and bootanimation2 to bootanimation, then reboot. I've included a sample Solar Flare bootanimation.zip in /system/media.
-Added some VPN services back in an attempt to get Video Player working properly again.
-Added the ability to use a 2nd partition on your sdcard with Links2sd for storage. You will have to partition your sdcard to ext4 (I used TWRP), remove all Links2SD links and the /system/etc/init.d/11links2sd script as well as the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh created by Links2SD if you have it installed already. Once booted, open Links2SD and if it asks to re-create mount scripts choose no.

Update 7-16-13 : Restored Activation, PRL updates, Profile updates,
Samsung Software updates, and Firmware updates.
Note- Activation may need to be done via phone pad by dialing
##72786#,
not sure if it works from the menus.
Restored ability to transfer files via NFC (needs testing)
Thanks to kwknott for finding the necessary apks and testing!
Update 7-10-13 : Fixed WiFi Tethering, added Gallery/Camera4.3 combo (kept stock combo too), removed more bloatware and non-english fonts, changed Samsung boot logo to Victorious ROM!

Update 7-1-13 : Now has JupiterOne's RedSpot Uncapped kernel, and native extsd2internalsd support. Now your clockspeed is uncapped to 1.5ghz+, and app storage is based on your sdcard size!

Screenshot_2013-07-24-18-31-26_zps06f58579.png
Screenshot_2013-07-01-16-04-37_zps0ec783b3.png
Screenshot_2013-07-21-07-58-50_zpsbd295735.png

WARNING!!! Installing custom ROMs on your phone could brick it, rendering it non-functional, and voiding your warranty! I take no responsibility for what you do to your phone! You have been WARNED!!!

NOTE - You should turn your phone off before removing your SdCard! Unmounting in settings will unmount the internal SdCard since it is swapped with the extSdCard. Removing an SdCard while still mounted can damage the card's filesystem!

What's different about Victorious ROM compared to stock?
  1. Rooted with Koush's open source Superuser
  2. Includes the VaeVictus overclocked kernel built from Samsung source with sauce added by rbheromax, overclock up to 1.8ghz!
  3. Deodexed (slower first boot, but faster from then on)
  4. Removed most bloatware (Samsung, Sprint, and Google apps, live wallpapers, extra fonts, etc)
  5. Better battery life
  6. Changed boot-logo (initlogo.rle) from Samsung to Victorious ROM
  7. Incudes VaeVictus kernel overclocked CPU to 1.8ghz and GPU to 400mhz!
  8. Changed bootanimations and shutdown animation, and added ability to disable bootanimations in the build.prop (set debug.sf.nobootanimation=0), as well as custom bootanimation.zips via bootanimation2 (see below)
  9. Changed boot and power off sounds
  10. Tweaks to the build.prop (taken from around the internet)
  11. Added support for swapping the internal and external sdcards for more storage
  12. Added support for using a 2nd partition on your sdcard for more app storage
  13. Added TrevE Mod Wireless WiFi Tether app (4G LTE Rocks!)
  14. Added GoogleGallery4.3 (combo gallery and camera, camera is cool but pics are so so, I left the stock camera and gallery in as well)
  15. Added native PlayStation Mobile
What's planned in the future?
  1. Adding built in support for moving apps to sdcard Added in 7-1-13 update!
  2. Adding support for init.d scripts Added in 7-1-13 update!
  3. Adding support for custom bootanimations Added in 7-24 update!
  4. Add theme options (battery mods etc, try NinjaMorph for now)
  5. Attempting to add apps2extSd support, no promises Added in 7-24-13 update!
  6. More...
How to install Victorious ROM?
  1. First, you must be running the rooted stock MG5 firmware and have TWRP or ClockworkMod recovery installed (how-to-update-to-MG5)
  2. I highly recommend backing up your apps with Titanium Backup!
  3. If you have extSd2internalSd or links2sd installed, backup their scripts first!
  4. Download Victorious-0.3.1.zip here, and place on your sdcard
  5. Boot into recovery by turning off your phone, then holding Volume-Up and Power at the same time till it starts booting
  6. I highly recommend you do a backup now, seriously!!!
  7. Wipe cache, then under advanced wipe dalvik-cache, DO NOT WIPE SYSTEM!
  8. Install zip from sdcard (you may have to choose external sdcard)
  9. Back at the main menu, Reboot System
  10. It takes a long time to boot the first time after flashing, be patient!
Download files and links:
  1. Victorious-0.3.1.zip MD5 - c41bb8a5257807cbd91c793da55abfb7
  2. Donate to Vmobi to offset hosting (I take no donations personally!!!)
  3. TWRP.2.4.3 recovery (Thanks TeamWin!)
  4. Rooting for newbies (thanks TheBritton!)
  5. Dsixda's Android Kitchen (thanks, made deodexing and zipalign a breeze!)
  6. Superuser.zip View attachment superuser.zip (Thanks Koush!)

Huge thanks to g60madman for creating Vmobi and hosting the files for Victorious, to rbhermomax for helping get overclocking working, to mattiadj for the extsd2internalsd script, to xInterloperx for help in everything I've done one theVictory, kwknott for finding and testing apps to restore update functionality, TeachMe for finding the libs to get VideoPlayer working properly, TheBritton, Koush, TrevE for WiFi-Tether, and a whole lot more!

How to prepare a 2nd ext partition
for app storage
First, let's discuss exactly what we are doing. There are two scripts at work here, extSd2internalSd and Links2Sd. The first script (ext2internal) swaps the internal sdcard with your external sdcard (the one you put in the phone). The second script (links2sd) will move your apps and most of their associated files to your sdcard, and create a symlink (symbolic link) from those apps on the sdcard back to their original place in the filesystem (data/app). This symlink is treated by the OS as if it is the actual file, tricking the system into believing it has never been moved. The standard method of moving apps2sd requires a 2nd partition on your sdcard formatted to ext4, which allows the apps to be treated as if they are on a native filesystem. This gives several advantages, including speed, storage space, and a separation of the app storage from your normal sdcard files which prevents you from accidentally messing with those files.

There are basically two situations you may be in at the moment, here are the ways to prepare for using the script I've created (a combo of the two scripts mentioned above).

I don't have Links2Sd installed at all right now:
  1. BACKUP YOUR SDCARD TO YOUR PC, IT WILL BE WIPED CLEAN!
  2. Place your sdcard in your phone
  3. Boot into recovery (these instruction use TWRP)
  4. Select Advanced, then select Partition SD Card
  5. Set the size you want for your storage space in kb (1024mb = 1gb), I recommend at least 2gb, I personally used 10gb on a 32gb class 10 card
  6. Choose EXT4
  7. Don't worry if it shows an error, it most likely was successful, but TWRP can't mount the 2nd partition so it thinks it errored
  8. Reboot
  9. Install and run Links2Sd, and do let it create mount scripts
  10. Using a root file manager, delete /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and everyfile inside /system/etc/init.d (you may not have an init.d or any files inside of it)
  11. Boot into recovery and flash Victorious-0.2.1 (wipe cache & dalvik)
  12. Reboot
  13. Open Links2Sd, and if it asks to re-create mount scripts say no
  14. Begin linking your apps over to your sdcard, DO NOT LINK /system APPS!
  15. Enjoy your new space
I have Links2Sd installed with or without apps already linked.
  1. BACKUP YOUR SDCARD TO YOUR PC, IT WILL BE WIPED CLEAN!
  2. If you have already been using Links2Sd, undo all the linked apps, putting them back into normal storage, you may have to uninstall a few if you don't have the space available, just back them up with Titanium Backup then uninstall them, you will restore them at the end
  3. Follow steps 2-7 above to partition your sdcard if you haven't already
  4. Install Victorious-0.2.1 and reboot
  5. Open Links2Sd, and if it asks you to re-create mount scripts say no
  6. Redo your links
  7. Restore anything you had to uninstall, and redo it's link
  8. Enjoy your new space!
More detailed explanation of the hack:
  • We are splitting the external sdcard into two two virtual sdcards (two partitions), just like you can do on a computer.
  • We use an ext4 partition because it's the native file system for Android on the Samsung Galaxy Victory, meaning it's faster and more efficient. Most sdcards are formatted to the fat filesystem for easy use on Windows USB connections, most versions of Windows cannot read ext4 natively, and therefor cannot mount those partitions. Samsung uses fuse to allow it mount the sdcards in this manner.
  • I allowed Links2Sd to find my 2nd ext4 partition on my sdcard, but the mount scripts it created interfered with the ext2internal script
  • Luckily, once Links2Sd thinks it has created proper mount scripts, it's internal data will continue to think so even after you change the scripts
  • I studied the two scripts, found the relevant parts for what would come closest to apps2sd functionality, and merged the two together into one simple script
  • extsd2internalsd script uses a loop with a call to sleep for 10 seconds, during this loop it checks to see if the sdcard is mounted, once the sdcard is mounted, the script uses uses another loop to check if the external sdcard is mounted in the same way, once both are mounted it swaps them
  • Samsung phones use the internal sdcard to store apps obb and external data files, and since ext2internal has swapped the cards, those files are now stored on your removable sdcard
  • links2sd script mounts the 2nd ext4 partition on your sdcard to /data/sdext2, but the system doesn't take that space into consideration when calculating storage because it's not a part of the predefined mount points (once everything is set and linked, you can browse what's there)
  • links2sd moves apps, including their apk, dalvik-cache files, and library files, to the 2nd partition on your sdcard, freeing up space in your data folder, which is where the system checks to see if you have enough room to install apps
  • In the end, you have three sdcards, an internal used as external, an external first partiton used as internal, and an external 2nd partiton used as app storage. The combination of swapping the sdcards and using a 2nd partition for app storage should give even a hard core app junkie plenty of space, and still have room for your photos, music, and other media

How to adjust overclocking and governors:
  1. Install No-frills CPU Control from the Play Store, other apps may work as well, I have only tested No-Frills, be warned some overclock apps could harm your phone!
  2. Open and set your desired min and max speeds, then select a governor
  3. Do not check set on boot until you are sure you have stable settings (most all settings will be stable for most users, rbheromax did excellent work!)
  4. Use CPU-Z or other similar apps to check that your overclock settings are working

How to configure tethering:
  1. Open Wifi Tether-TrevE Mod in your app drawer
  2. Press your Menu key and select Settings
  3. Select Change Device-Profile and scroll down to select Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE)
  4. Check Send Netd Max Client Cmd
  5. Optional : Enable WiFi-Encryption (recommended)
  6. If you enabled WiFi-Encryption, select Change Passphrase and enter a password at least 8 characters long
  7. Optional: Change SSID (recommended change the name to something you like, after all there's lots of AndroidPhones!)
  8. Optional: Change Channel (try till you find the best results)
  9. Check WiFi-driver reload (tested and works)
  10. Press your back button
  11. Press the large white WiFi symbol to start tethering, it will turn yellow once tethering is active, (note- you will have to grant SuperUser rights the first time)
  12. Now you can connect to your phone using the SSID and passphrase you entered
  13. Press the large yellow WiFi symbol to turn off tethering, then exit the app
I have tested with both 3G and 4G, works great. I tested with 4G (new to Vegas! ;)) by loading Yahoo which loaded almost instantly, then clicking on a link to a story about a 50ft wave on Deadliest Catch, then I watched the video which played without buffering at all! I bought this phone due to 4GLTE, and I'm not disappointed!

How to enable custom bootanimation:
  1. Use a root file manager to rename /system/bin/bootanimation to bootanimation.bak
  2. Rename /system/bin/bootanimation2 to bootanimation
  3. Place bootanimation.zip of your choice in /system/media
  4. Reboot and enjoy!
WARNING - Do not use the SolarFlare bootanimation.zip I included in /system/media in the 0.2.1 update, there is something wrong with it! Other standard bootanimation zips seem to work, but need testing. If you get stuck in the bootanimation at boot, go into recovery and wipe dalvik-cache, reboot, then remove/replace /system/media/bootanimation.zip or swap /system/bin/bootanimation with bootanimation2

FAQ
  1. Why do we have to have the stock firmware installed before flashing Victorious?
    I have been releasing Victorious as an update package, only replacing apps from the /system/frameworks, /system/app, /system/bin, /system/xbin, /etc/init.d, and boot.img files. I have done this in order to keep the update.zip file smaller and save bandwidth and downloading times. This will cause issues once other ROMs are available, so some time in the near future I will start releasing Victorious as a full system package.
  2. What is deodexed and why do it?
    Android uses a special set of files called odex to store classes and information the applications need, in order to allow them to load faster. This only makes it faster the first time, after that all needed data is in the dalvik-cache and loads just as fast deodexed or odexed. Deodexing puts all the files and data into the main apk file, which is much easier for making changes and themes.
  3. What is bloatware and why remove it?
    Bloatware is a general term for anything Android doesn't need to make your phone run. This includes carrier/vendor overlays (Sprint, Samsung, and VirginMobile apps), extra wallpapers and livewallpapers, Google apps that can be installed from The Play Store, and bootanimations, ringtones, and other media files (though the Victory has a limited number of ringtones and notification sounds, so I left them all in). I will eventually post a list of all apps removed in Victorious.
  4. What is extSd2internalSd and why use it?
    The Victory has an internal SDcard and an external one, the external one is the one you can remove. The internal one is 2GB, your external one can be much larger. A simple script can swap these two cards in the filesystem, allowing you much more internal space. Many apps have huge files they download and store on the SDcard, games sometimes have 5gb files, which are impossible to store on the stock internal SDcard which only has less than 2gb available. You can use a 64gb sdcard and play all the games, store tons of pictures, anything you want!
  5. What is an upcapped kernel, and how does it help?
    The Victory's processor's speed is capped to 1.2Ghz out of the box. Using JupiterOne's RedSpot Uncapped kernel, the limit is removed, allowing the processor to run at speeds in excess of 1.5Ghz, that's a 25% increase. Going much higher than 1.5Ghz may cause the processor to have errors, testing is in the works on pushing the cap higher. ;)
  6. How do I disable/re-enable the bootanimation?
    Edit the /system/build.prop file and put a # sign in front of the following line: debug.sf.nobootanimation=1 (or just change the 1 to a 0), a 1 means no bootanimation, a 0 or leading # sign means play bootanimation.

Bug List:

As of Version 0.2.1
  1. This is packaged as an update, not a complete ROM, so you must be running the rooted stock firmware, or Victorious, before flashing any releases of Victorious!
  2. The updater-script does not remove bloatware installed in the data partition
  3. Video Player app is missing two lib files, you can download them from this post, Thanks TeachMe! http://androidforums.com/6012973-post397.html
  4. Some issues with stock calendar features
  5. The included /system/media/bootanimation.zip package prevents boot completion, all other bootanimation.zip files I've tested worked fine, so just don't use the included one till the next release

Upvote 0
Thanks for our first Rom!

Do you have a known bug list?

Working on one, I just built it last nite, so far most stuff seems to be working fine. I believe I will have to put the clock package back in, the simple alarm doesn't seem to work without it. And in Root Explorer when you use the open-with menu, there's no video player, so I'll probably have to put one of the media servers back in, not sure which one yet.

Please post any bugs you find here, and thanks for testing!

Upvote 0
This looks awesome! I'm doing a nandroid backup in a sec and giving this a flash, thank you I have been trying to deodex the stock ROM but no luck, now time to flash some themes:)

I used Dsixda's Android Kitchen for the Galaxy S2 to deodex and zipalign. I used Android version 16 for the deoexing, and attempted to create the necessary device files for the mount points. Still working on getting them just right so I can repack the boot image with some form of Apps to SD built in.

Upvote 0
Tried this with the Sprint version for that one person whose inevitably going to ask if it'll work, lol bad idea. Fails within the first few seconds. Any chance we'll (we as in us Sprinters) get this as well?

Shouldn't be to hard just need to edit the edify script file and edit it for sprint. I'll see what I can do for allowing this to work on both phones.

Upvote 0
FYI- I kinda derped the updater-script, which means install doesn't remove the bloatware in the data partition. Due to the huge file size of the stock ROM (and JellyBean in general), I only included the deodexed files from /system/app and /system/frameworks, and the new build.prop. Rather than a complete ROM, this is currently more like an update. I'm working on hosting that will allow the ~500meg filesize of the complete ROM, which will make the updater-script more like a normal one, and hopefully less likely for me to derp!

BTW- I'm having trouble with MMS, could be on my end with all I've done to my phone, please report if you have any issues!

Upvote 0
Shouldn't be to hard just need to edit the edify script file and edit it for sprint. I'll see what I can do for allowing this to work on both phones.

Thanks, I was going to google the sprint partitions, but I feel more comfortable if you it (I have no Sprint phone)! I can deodex the relevant Sprint apps (SMS/MMS, phone apks, etc), they don't need a proper partition table to deodex, for that matter we can just deodex the entire stock Sprint firmware as well. That and a proper build.prop, and it should work fine for Sprint.

I have the kitchen set up pretty well, but it's my first time using it, I usually build from source. Only things I have to do is figure out how to add the sdcard(s) mount point(s), edit the updater-script to my needs, and replace the updater-binary (haven't configured some script that grabs the right one yet, noobish). I can do a diff and send you my changes if you like.

Upvote 0
Hey JerryScript,

First of all I would like to say thanks for ROM. Combined with the Redspot Kernel from Jupiter One my phone is Stupid fast, snappy and very responsive. I haven't run into any issues. I flashed mine with a version of TWRP. In regards, to your question on MMS. MY MMS WORKS FINE by the way. I haven't run into any bugs BUT I will let you know if my phone runs into any.

Thanks again for delivering the community with one of its first ROM's keep up the good work. Oh yea and my battery life seems great by the way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones