1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

virtualization for Android

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by dxs, May 17, 2011.

1. dxs

dxs Lurker

Hi!
    I'm looking for a virtualization solution for Android. But the other way around: I do NOT want to run an Android Phone emulator in my Windows or Linux. Instead, I'm looking for a virtual machine implementation which runs inside Android. So Android is the host OS and e.g. Linux or Windows should be the guest OS.
    E.g. a VirtualBox package for Android would be fine. Is it possible to compile this myself? Does anybody know?

Best Regards,
    dxs

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gadgetmann

gadgetmann Newbie

Awesome idea but I doubt any of the current crop of phones would be powerful enough to run any VM at a sensible usable speed. Let alone deal with the display issues.

3. dxs

dxs Lurker

I'll get a Samsung Galaxy S2 in the next days. It has a 1GHz double-core processor. That should do the trick.

4. gadgetmann

gadgetmann Newbie

it may be a dual core 1Ghz processor but it doesn't mean it's anywhere near as powerful as a desktop PC.

5. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast

I think LG and VMWare are working on virtualization of Android guest(s) in an Android host. Other than that, I haven't heard of anything else.

6. Unixtreme

Unixtreme Lurker

Sorry for necroing the thread but I have some interesting information about Virtualization in Android. Instead of explaining it myself I'll just paste the link of a guide to virtuallize Ubuntu on Android.

Notes:

- Tested and working on 2.2 (Froyo) and 2.3 (Gingerbread) on Samsung I9000.
    - Many instances of the vm client might overlap, not a big deal but can be prevented/fixed by executing the mountonly file that comes in ubuntu.zip.
    - Basic knowledge of bash is recommended but not mandatory.
    - On high end devices (I9000 and above) I don't recommend the installation of X11 GUI if you're used to Ubuntu interface or just want to show it to people (we all do), it doesn't save a critical amount of resources anyways.
    - Might not work on all devices.

Here's the guide, all credits at the end of it.

How to Install Ubuntu on Your Nexus One/Android! | Nexus One Hacks Blog

alostpacket likes this.
  7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

that's a crazy(awesome) hack heh. Is it almost like Ubuntu is running in parallel and you are remoting into it via vnc?

Welcome to AF btw :)

8. Timanator

Timanator Well-Known Member

There is supposed to be a VDI implementation built in to the new Cisco Tablet. It's due out this summer?

9. Unixtreme

Unixtreme Lurker

Exactly, it doesn't leech much battery if you don't open up the VNC so it's cool to leave it prepared at any time.

PS: Thanks :D