• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Visual Voice Mail save to "internal" or "external"?

Lock-N-Load

Android Expert
Feb 8, 2010
WestSiiiide
So, I had my setting in VVM set to save VM to "internal". BUT, then when I had to call into my VM to listen to some VM (read why elsewhere) I erased many off my VM and guess what... it deleted them off my VVM. I did not expect that.

So, why?

If setting your VVM to save to "internal" would we not just assume it is saving them to the SD card so deleting them off your VZW VM should not alter your VVM as they should be "internal".

But that is not how it worked.. so what the heck is the diff between "internal" and "external"?

I switched the setting to external and my visual voicemail stopped working. Not sure why the option is there, if we are not meant to use it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The same happened to me right after the latest update. It kept telling me that it failed to download the message. When I switched back to internal storage, it worked just fine.

Kratos

Upvote 0
The same happened to me right after the latest update. It kept telling me that it failed to download the message. When I switched back to internal storage, it worked just fine.

Kratos

BUT if you go delete them off of the VZW network, dial *86 listen and delete, you will loose them off your VVM.... what's the point of "internal" then?

to me, "internal" implies to the SD card, "external" implies leave on the network and never save locally. does not seem so.

Upvote 0
I see. I don't even call my voicemail anymore. That does seem odd as it is downloading the message to your phone. Maybe sending a suggestion to Verizon through the apps contact info about this.

I am not sure where the actual message is downloaded and saved to. I just assumed that "Internal Storage" was the internal memory and "External Storage" was the SD card. I may be wrong about this.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I never called my VM once I got VVM, never.. but I had a very specific case where I had to... that is when I discovered that if you delete them off the VZW network it deletes them off your phone despite telling VVM to save "internal" - so in fact, it seems nothing is saved "internal" and they are always on the network in fact.

but what is funny here is you said:

"I just assumed that "Internal Storage" was the internal memory and "External Storage" was the SD card. "

whereas I assumed that "internal" means that it saved to the SD card and "external" left it on the network.. totally opposite of you :)

Upvote 0
so, I just called VZW and guess what, they were confused also and did not have any idea. They did determine that is a Droid specific setting - "internal" or "external" - and if you do "external" this will cause errors and not allow messages to even be delivered.

they even tested it offline for 30 minutes and called me back.

So, in the end, it does nothing and they "think" it was some option that was not an actual working option despite being in the Droid settings and no other phone even has this setting.

want to save your VVM, long press and "archive" as these settings don't mean/do jack it turns out, but for sure, you need to leave it on "internal" for VVM to even work.

Upvote 0
One thing that I noticed aboutvisual voice mail is that it doesn't match up with my contacts. In other words, it shows the phone number, but not actual name of the contact. I only sync my work contacts and not my Gmail contacts.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

I believe that every time I have received a voicemail, it shows the the contacts name.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones