• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VM Samsung Galaxy Victory MMS Issue

Hurtadau

Jun 28, 2013
My Victory is being weird, I can receive MMS messages when I'm on CDMA (3g) data mode, but not on LTE/CDMA. (3g and 4g) I don't really wanna switch modes and restart my phone each time I get a media message, and I don't wanna stay on 3g, because 4g is amazing. Any help would be appreciated. A lot. :p

You're running Victorious correct?

Are you trying to use a 3rd party mms app like handcent or gosms?

I'm running Victorious with stock messaging app and mms works on 3g and 4g. Have you tried updating prl and profile to see if that might help?

Maybe call VM to rule out an issue on their end. If it receives in 3g I'm not sure what could make in not on 4g

Upvote 0
Go into dialer and dial ##72786#

It will appear as if phone locks up but give it a minute and it will reboot, on reboot it will go through handsfree activation and prl update, phone will reboot and after reboot check for firmware update

This process deletes network data and reactivates phone. This should get rid of Activate Phone notification.

Upvote 0
When it rebooted did it perform handsfree activation?

Something sounds screwy with your phone. What network mode was it in when you tried this? (Lte/cdma or cdma) If you had it in Lte/Cdma mode, put it in cdma only and try again

I've tried this on 3 different Victory's, all running Victorious and non of them have not reactivated. It really sounds like something weird with your phone and 4g.

When did the mms issue start? Was it after a restore or flashing a rom?

Upvote 0
Mine wouldnt do mms either. I called virgin mobile they said it was an intermittent problem with victory and iphone. I read other forums ppl having this issue, its always one that doesnt have virgin boot animation. They seem to have been set up for sprint or boost. They have u do a factory reset after they redo settings from their end. U then get all the virgin bloat but still no mms. Take it back to store theyll give you a new one. I did. There seems to be no fix for no mms.

Upvote 0
Download the stock TWRP backup that g60madman posted in the root section of the forums, then follow these steps:

1. Place your sdcard in your phone, then boot your phone into recovery
  2. Make a backup of just the cache partition
  3. Delete the backup you just made (you delete by selecting restore, then choose delete)
  4. Turn off your phone
  5. Take your sdcard out and put it in your PC's card reader
  6. Unzip the stock TWRP on your computer
  7. Inside the folders you unzipped, you will find a BACKUPS folder which contains a folder with random numbers and letters for it's name, inside of it you will see a date/time stamp folder, that is the backup
  8. Copy that date/timestamp folder to the TWRP/BACKUPS/<random-number> folder on your sdcard
  9. Boot into recovery again
  10. Install the backup you just put on the sdcard
  11. Reboot and reactivate your phone (I suggest starting WiFi before doing activation)
  12. If you have to call VirginMobile to reactivate your phone, tell them you did a factory reset because your phone was acting up and you read online to do it. They may need to reprovision your phone's account.
Once you have your phone activated, you can install Victorious0.1.4 and your MMS and everything else should work fine. Or you can just stay on stock. ;)

Upvote 0
Download the stock TWRP backup that g60madman posted in the root section of the forums, then follow these steps:

1. Place your sdcard in your phone, then boot your phone into recovery
  2. Make a backup of just the cache partition
  3. Delete the backup you just made (you delete by selecting restore, then choose delete)
  4. Turn off your phone
  5. Take your sdcard out and put it in your PC's card reader
  6. Unzip the stock TWRP on your computer
  7. Inside the folders you unzipped, you will find a BACKUPS folder which contains a folder with random numbers and letters for it's name, inside of it you will see a date/time stamp folder, that is the backup
  8. Copy that date/timestamp folder to the TWRP/BACKUPS/<random-number> folder on your sdcard
  9. Boot into recovery again
  10. Install the backup you just put on the sdcard
  11. Reboot and reactivate your phone (I suggest starting WiFi before doing activation)
  12. If you have to call VirginMobile to reactivate your phone, tell them you did a factory reset because your phone was acting up and you read online to do it. They may need to reprovision your phone's account.
Once you have your phone activated, you can install Victorious0.1.4 and your MMS and everything else should work fine. Or you can just stay on stock. ;)

I can verify this works... I had a similar problem (no VM splash screen-got my phone from the VM website, so I didn't want to deal with returning it), everything worked except mms, but then I did the steps above and it worked. Now I'm fully Victorious and everything is working fine. Just flash Victorious after you do the steps above and activate/update everything.

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
I was wanting to try this because I can't get my phone to send the groupsms from Gosms unless it's on 3g either.

I was trying to do the backup trick. I got to 8 and it didn't recognize anything on the recovery program. I tried to make a zip of that specific file but that didn't seem to work either. how do you get the TWRP to install the backup?

Upvote 0
You have to make a backup of cache then delete it to create the folder. It will be twrp/backups/*serial number*. The final folder will be your phones serial number, that's where you put the time/date stamped folder that contains the stock backup. That being said,
This backup is from the mc1 baseband. If your baseband ends in mg5, after doing this you will have to use jerryscripts no props.zip update to get back to mg5. Here is the update http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6054761

Reactions: mikeh33
Upvote 0
You have to make a backup of cache then delete it to create the folder. It will be twrp/backups/*serial number*. The final folder will be your phones serial number, that's where you put the time/date stamped folder that contains the stock backup. That being said,
This backup is from the mc1 baseband. If your baseband ends in mg5, after doing this you will have to use jerryscripts no props.zip update to get back to mg5. Here is the update [New Update] Patience Please - Android Forums

so that makes sense, does the backup have to be placed on the SD card or the internal memory, i thought it wouldn't matter. And do I need to zip the file? or do I just put on the entire TWRP zip into that folder?

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter if internal or sd. Twrp lets you choose where to look. The file cannot be zipped. If it is a zip you have to extract it first.
I just checked his backup is a zip, extract it and place the time date folder from the zip in twrp/backups/<serial number> folder
Also after you do the no props.zip update you may need to reinstall superuser and busybox. Complete instructions for doing the backup and update are in the thread I linked. Click the link and follow all the steps.

Upvote 0
Well, I was able to 'restore' to the backup, but it didn't seem to do a whole lot. I still can't send MMS from the Go SMS app. This is a real problem because I need that for group messaging for my work.
Some people had mentioned that trading it in a for a new phone might help. I've had my phone for about a week. How can i convince them that i need a replacement. The stock MMS works, but that sucks because you can't do group messaging with Iphone users.

I've also had an issue with it getting weird text messages that have a bunch of symbols in them from a number 999 999 9999. I called the company and they 'blocked' the number which hasn't stopped them from coming.

It's frustrating because this is a great phone, upgrading from the alcatel venture which sucked, but it would work with Gosms group messaging and it didn't get these texts from 999( over 50 a day and some in the middle of the night.)

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Never heard of the weird text thing from random number. Also my boss has iPhone and I group text him.
For the group text problem try this, Use a root file explorer, I use the one in ROM toolbox pro, navigate to system/csc/feature.xml, open in text editor and scroll down to "cscfeature_message_enablegroupmessage>false< and change false to true and save changes (little picture of disk at top) and you should now be able to use group message.
y9erupud.jpg

Also, did you update after using the backup? Check settings/about phone and check build and baseband to see that they end in mg5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones